Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Blazer headlights and service light

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Beginning Member
username772 is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer headlights and service light

So i have a 1997 white blazer lt. For some reason, my headlights never turn off and idk why. The green headlight light on my dash stays on, and it really bugs me... Also, my service engine light has been on for a while. The previous owners had their mechanic friend look at it and he got it off for about a day before it went back on. I think it may be because the gas cap doesnt click when it closes, but im not sure. Thoughts? Thanks

Old 07-20-2013, 09:36 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

First, check what codes its throwing. As for the headlights, The green headlight on your dash, is supposed to be the indicator for the high beams, are the high beams stuck on?

When you say they are always on, what do you mean specifically. Like you cant shut them off no matter what?

Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member
username772 is on a distinguished road

Thats something i would have to go to autozone for, right? And i cannot shut them off when the electrical is on or its running. Otherwise, they shut off when the car is off.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the daytime running lights,push the e break down to turn them off but don't drive it with the e break on.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:58 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

What 4x4 said, sounds like daytime running lights.

Here is a quick test (as I always thought the headlight dummy light on the dash was for the high beams) is, when its dark, pull up against a building, and turn on your high beams... see if they come on, if they do, see if anything lights up on your dash.

If its the DRL's, there is a mod to fix this that involves adding a 2.2kohm resistor to the sensor that is located in one of the speaker grilles in the dashboard (I believe its a 2.2k ohm resistor. I will have to search in the morning)

Old 07-21-2013, 02:04 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yep, green light is for DRLs, blue light is for high beams.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 AM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
What 4x4 said, sounds like daytime running lights.

Here is a quick test (as I always thought the headlight dummy light on the dash was for the high beams) is, when its dark, pull up against a building, and turn on your high beams... see if they come on, if they do, see if anything lights up on your dash.

If its the DRL's, there is a mod to fix this that involves adding a 2.2kohm resistor to the sensor that is located in one of the speaker grilles in the dashboard (I believe its a 2.2k ohm resistor. I will have to search in the morning)
Rich the 97's didn't have the sensor in the speaker grill they came on automatically when you turn the ignition switch on

Last edited by Thogert; 07-21-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:51 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

That's correct - they don't.
If your 97 is a four door LT - which is exactly what mine is - then you probably have composite headlights. There'll be two bulbs in the housing, and this is what the majority of four door models had, from my understanding. A lower amount of power is sent to the high beam bulb, and it automatically cuts out when you switch on the headlights. It can be deleted, although I don't really see a purpose to it, and it can be done as simply as cutting the DRL wires to the high beam bulb ballasts and taping it off. Kind of a jury rigged way of doing it, but it's quick and simple. Or you can add the resistor, or you can go all out and remove the DRL panel completely, which is going to involve disassembling the dash.

Last edited by WitchingHour; 07-21-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4X4GS10B
Rich the 97's didn't have the sensor in the speaker grill they came on automatically when you turn the ignition switch on
ahh good to know.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

the "green headlight light" isnt for headlights its for your day time running lights, which is off of the high beams and not the low beams anyway

Quick Reply: Blazer headlights and service light