Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Brand New HIDs not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 PM
98hc4mula is on a distinguished road
Default Brand New HIDs not working

I have a 2000 blazer and just received an order I placed through DDM tunning for some 9006 HID for it, went ahead and connected everything up and the damn things are not lighting up. did I miss something?
I dont want to send them back if there is a step I missed. Please enlighten me with what could it be,
thanks.
David

Old 03-06-2010, 04:33 PM
98hc4mula is on a distinguished road

wow not one recommendation.
come on guys, Im sure you can give me some advice.
thanks

Old 03-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have patience man. It's getting nicer outside and people are doing what they need to do. Least you could do is be patient.

Now, have you considered contacting DDM?

Also, in the future, you may want to list what you did instead of "I connected everything..." You might have missed something, but it is much easier for you to list what you did (especially if you have double & triple checked "everything") than it is for us to have to go through the whole 'shebang' for you.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Yup, re-check the connections. I know with my set I installed, one of the connectors was miss-marked. I had to turn one connector around to get one to work.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:39 PM
radiokid is on a distinguished road

Hello,

You might have missed a ground wire.
Or since it is a newer model blazer the daytime running light feature might have something to do with the reason your lights are not working.

Make sure the ballast wires are fully attached to the proper socket, some of the wires and on the bulb and the plugs are interchangeable, meaning you could have something hooked up backwards.

just a few questions.. when you turn on your headlights does the ballasts make a humming noise? if not then there no power going to the ballast. check to make sure you have power.

Are these BiXenon or just low beams only? try your highbeam and low beam switch, see if that makes the lights turn on.

-

Old 03-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by radiokid
Hello,

You might have missed a ground wire.
Or since it is a newer model blazer the daytime running light feature might have something to do with the reason your lights are not working.

Make sure the ballast wires are fully attached to the proper socket, some of the wires and on the bulb and the plugs are interchangeable, meaning you could have something hooked up backwards.

just a few questions.. when you turn on your headlights does the ballasts make a humming noise? if not then there no power going to the ballast. check to make sure you have power.

Are these BiXenon or just low beams only? try your highbeam and low beam switch, see if that makes the lights turn on.

-
FYI - the DRL is the high beam, so if he is installing low beam HID's it will not affect the DRL.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ
FYI - the DRL is the high beam, so if he is installing low beam HID's it will not affect the DRL.
DRL is not high beam, if so you would blind every one coming at you.

The day time running lights is always the low beam, if for some reason the hid ballast is not pulling a strong enough current the DRL module could in theory not see that the headlights are even on, if for some reason the computer in the vehicle that controls the headlights can not detect the voltage, then you may need a relay kit provided from a HID company,

Assuming the halogen bulbs worked before and after hid installation would note the hid ballast or the on board computer is causing the hid lights to not work.

Just to note:
.Check voltage at your headlight socket make sure you have voltage around 11-14 volts on the low beam plugs located on your vehicle while the headlight switch is on the low beam setting, try while vehicle is running, to assure proper testing.
(assuming your kit is plug and play)
You need a good clean electrical connection on your vehicles headlight wire plugs. the ballast should plug directly into your existing harness, make sure the connection is clean, and apply some dielectric grease inside your plugs..

.Double check, triple check all your connections, the voltage, and try experimenting with one hid bulb and ballast hooked up on the drivers side and the regular bulb on your passenger side, if the hid light does not light, however the passenger halogen bulb is on, you may have a defective hid ballast or bulb.
it could be other issues as well.>

.Try installing a relay kit, contact the company where you purchased this kit and ask for advice most likely they will recommend the relay kit.

please let us know the results and keep us updated.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM

I beg to differ with you radiokid... the DRL in my 1999 Blazer is in fact the high beams. DRL do not get full voltage, thus they do not blind anyone. I am 100% sure of this in the case of my '99, and I'll bet the whole series like mine are the same way. I have installed the low beam HID's in my '99 with no issues what so ever, and my DRL's still work... via the high beams. Most DRL's are not low beams.

Last edited by LuvMyTJ; 03-06-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radiokid
DRL is not high beam, if so you would blind every one coming at you.
Except for those models which put the high beam lights in series which reduces their brightness by about half like most of the s-series trucks do...

Old 03-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Except for those models which put the high beam lights in series which reduces their brightness by about half like most of the s-series trucks do...

I was just about to post that. when i found something out

The regulations on daylight running lamps vary widely across the world. The main types of daylight running lamps in contemporary use around the world are
  • low-beam headlights that illuminate when the car is started,
  • Dimmed high beam headlights operated at lower voltage to achieve lower intensity
Assuming the DRL is the high beam, however just dimmed on this model, still would not rule out a the need for a voltage regulation. hid company's recommenced any thing 2000 and newer should use the relay kit.

I installed these kits in over 50 cars and trucks all different makes and years and always used a relay and and never had any issues.

best bet is to

Quick Reply: Brand New HIDs not working