Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

headlight adjustment screws

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default headlight adjustment screws

This is just an irritating problem for me. I got new headlight adjustment screws because the up/down on the drivers side was stripped out and in just bad shape and would not adjust up. Put in the new one and all was well for a couple days, but now it has knocked itself back to the way it was, I went out there to turn the screw again, and the new one has stripped itself out.
I cant figure out why its doing this, It almost seems as if the spring at the bottom of the headlight bucket is too strong and pulling too hard on the bottom of the headlight.
Anyone else have this problem ever, if so, how did you fix it?

Last edited by richphotos; 11-01-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

ive never had issues but its common for rust to build up. either replace the headlights or buy new screws and use some good penetrating oil on the moving parts along with some anti seize grease and use the correct inverted socket for the adjustment screws all the best

Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

the screws are new.. this is a first gen btw (as said in my sig)

and on first gens, they dont use sockets, they use phillips screws to adjust.

Last edited by richphotos; 11-01-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Never had that issues before. Does the headlight look ok or aimed way up when you have it where you want it?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran

its perfect when I have it aimed where I want it, but then the adjustment screw will back itself out and the headlight will be pointing at the ground again, like there is too much force from the spring at the bottom of the headlight bucket.
I have a spare adjustment screw sitting on my desk right now that I put some JB weld in, once it sets up, I'm going to take the screw out, then the screw will actually have some threads to grab onto, also, going to pull the headlight out, and take out the bucket and check the spring of why its putting that much tension .

Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

You can just grab the spring with some vice grips and free the bucket. Then you can pop the bucket out without having to mess with the screws. Hopefully you can see something obvious, or the next one holds up better.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 AM
BF Veteran

I am hoping, doing both with the spring and the adjustment screw, that is the only problems it could be. nothing else to it really LOL!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 PM
BF Veteran

Well, tomorrow I am going to take apart the whole headlight assembly (take out the bucket and everything, see why it keeps coming out of adjustment) its gotta be the adjustment spring on the bottom of the bucket, so I will pull that off, and make sure its not corroded together anywhere, spray a bunch of penetrating oil on it. And instead of the cheap adjustment screws on the top, I might just get a molly bolt (wall anchor) and use that as the adjustment screw, it will work the same. and actually have METAL threads to grab onto, instead of the crappy plastic

or better yet, a toggle bolt.

For those wondering with first gens and want to get rid of the terrible plastic adjustment screws with something good.. This is what i recommend. Its a toggle bolt, sold in many different sizes, all you do is take the anchor off and put a washer on it that goes up on the screw head to prevent it from pulling through the headlight bucket, and walla.

Last edited by richphotos; 11-02-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:50 PM
BF Veteran

The toggle bolt works perfectly.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I always hated that design I find the adjustment screws to be a pain.

Quick Reply: headlight adjustment screws