Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Lighting & Electrical
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Beginning Member

packrat1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keyless Entry Antenna? Location?

Does anyone know where the antenna for the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) module is located? The reception range for my '99 4-Door is exceptionally short, even with new batteries in both of the key fobs. Sometimes I can be standing right next to the truck and it still fails to unlock the doors.

Anyway, I need to look into whether or not something is broken/failing or would work better if relocated. I know the RKE module is behind the kick panel near the parking brake, and I have examined it for bad connections. I didn't find anything unusual, other than I could not identify anything that looked like it was designed to deal with receiving an RF signal. In addition, I can't imagine that any RF engineer would, in their right mind, put an antenna in this location. One might as well put it inside a metal box. What am I missing?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM
1999 Chevrolet Blazer

NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NVANZEE

i dont think there is an actual external antenna for it. The module is mounted to back side of the plastic panel above the drivers foot well. Its the same panel the Data link connector(OBD2 port) is mounted in
Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran
1999 Chevrolet Blazer

warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
the arch

Actually there is a way to improve the recep of that module...i found a how to last year...i think it was on
S10crewcab.net
anyways...you can solder a wire onto the board and run it up the A pillar and it worked great.

I will see if i can find the link...it may help

http://www.s-10crewcab.net/wp/?page_id=30

Thats the page...look under keyless link...hope that helps ya out

BUILD: OPERATION WARTHOG
XBOXLIVE TAG ALBUM PHOTOBUCKET

Last edited by warthogdriver; 01-01-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Found link
Old 01-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Beginning Member

packrat1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link warthogdriver. I will give the mod a try. I hope the receiver isn't too picky about antenna length/impedance....

The link also clears up another question I had. Apparently GM did use what's called a "stripline" antenna for this circuit. A real cost-effective (cheap-***) method. Of course it did not help us drivers a bit, when they installed the whole thing inside a metal box (the truck). Makes me want to shoot a few design engineers....
Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 PM
BF Veteran
1999 Chevrolet Blazer

warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
the arch

I went cheap on what i used...left over small gauge speaker wire...i am cheap

BUILD: OPERATION WARTHOG
XBOXLIVE TAG ALBUM PHOTOBUCKET
Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Starting Member

dakota12349 is on a distinguished road
dakota12349 boogiemansm

warthogdriver can you show a vid of this? and will i have to reset my keyless remote after? i just want to make sure it works before i go and do this and it ruins the whole thing.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Tags
2000, 95, antenna, blazer, chevy, entry, front, keyless, located, location, module, montana, receiver, side, tahoe