Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Off Road light install. HELP??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Beginning Member
natem504 is on a distinguished road
Default Off Road light install. HELP??

Hi I need some help wire some aux light i just got, i purchased two 18 watt led lights. I also purchased a relay with switch. First were should i get the main power from, I know th best is from the battery directly but it has side termails and there is no way to put wires on the terminals. Im am thinking about puilling the power from the B+ on the fuse block( Not sure if this is good idea) i belive the B+ supplies the fuse block with power. But then I saw on the fuse block a STUD #2 30amp fuse with the stud right next to it, is this the best place to get power from? If not where?
I also want to know where i should get the switch power form for the realy, should i tap into the parking lights or is there a wire somewhere in the harness that is for fog lights if so should i just use that. I have no fog light switch though.
I would light to be able to turn on the new off road lights when the ignation is on.
Thank you and i hope to hear back from somone soon.

Also i may be also adding a 20in led bar 126watts where would be the best place to pull main power for this, could also I use the stud fuse with the two 18 Watt lights. Or B+ wir on fuse block?

Old 04-03-2015, 11:40 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

First off, run to Advance and grab some screw in battery posts, then get these
Amazon.com: Shoreline Marine Battery Marine Terminal Kit: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Shoreline Marine Battery Marine Terminal Kit: Sports & Outdoors
they have them at Walmart. That's what my dad came up with when I put in my sub system and from then on I've been able to easily add accessories to my truck. You will have to slightly modify your battery cables by cutting off the rubber around the positive cable and removing the bolt that would normally screw into your battery, then just take that cable and put it on the post side with the wing nut. That covers the main power. As for the switch, I just drilled a hole into the small panel that has my headlight switches and then bought little toggle switches from Advance. Run a power from anywhere in the car, doesn't matter if it's switched with the ignition or constant, and use that to turn it on. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Also I'll post a picture in a few of my switches. You just have to be very careful when drilling because it's two layered and the actual face plastic is quite brittle and will break if you aren't careful enough.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:58 PM

The first is my switches. The second is to show my front bar turned on without anything else on. It's really simple wiring to be honest, just amke sure it's done right and you'll be fine.
The switch: Wells Vehicle Electronics Toggle Switch SW2910: Advance Auto Parts
The battery terminals: Forney 54775 Side Terminal Conversion Posts PR Converts Side Terminal To Top Post - Walmart.com and Everstart 962C-2W Marine Grade Red and Black 6-12-Volt Battery Terminals, Epoxy Coated - Walmart.com

Edit: You can even see the cracks where I drilled too fast the first time haha

Attached Thumbnails Off Road light install. HELP??-e6099b04-c894-4db7-8ea6-ce3b5be8de4d_zpsvi3ccfs7.jpg   Off Road light install. HELP??-304533eb-b48f-4c30-938b-9cee740abcfa_zpsstq02aok.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Coleman Mason is on a distinguished road

Wear do you go through your firewall. when i put in some fog lights under my grill i ended up just drilling a hole in the wall to get through.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:41 PM

I used the hole the radio antenna went through. I cut away some of the inside of the grommet from the factory and reused it so my wires wouldn't get cut.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Coleman Mason is on a distinguished road

]I will take a look for that whole in the wall and wear did you wire the power for your switches?

Old 12-16-2015, 05:25 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

A good place (if you're using a relay for the light power) is from the stereo connections. You have an Ign wire and a constant Bty wire, depending on if you want to be able to turn the lights on even when the truck is off, or if you only want to be able to turn them on when the truck is on. It's pretty easy to run a wire from the stereo to the left of the dash as well.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:13 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I run the power from the stud on the underhood fuse box

Old 12-16-2015, 06:15 PM

I personally just used fused wires that came from the battery to the switch, to the lights but that's only because the led lights draw so little power there's no reason to use a relay. Especially when you ran the different lights to separate switches and divided up the power so no switches are really taking a lot of power at one time even if all the lights are on.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:48 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Most switches you find at autozone and stores like it can handle anywhere from 15 - 30 Amps. That comes out to 180 - 360 Watts @ 12 Volts. I wouldn't suggest running 30 A through anything smaller than 8 Ga copper wire, but you shouldn't even need more than one switch for leds. Unless you have a ton of them.

Quick Reply: Off Road light install. HELP??