Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4WD won't disengage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Mandrwj is on a distinguished road
Default 4WD won't disengage?

Ive got a 2001 LS. I say this thing is the demise of my existance, but in all reality after about 145,000 miles things happen, and it been a good little cruiser. Anyhow, we recently had a dumping of snow overnight so I used my 4 wheel drive (4 HI)to tool around the subdivision for the morning. Well, the problem is once Ive taken it out and back to 2WD I now have this God awful sound coming from what sounds to be the transfer case. It does not make this sound however when I switch it back into 4HI or LOW. I thought I got it to finally switch over since I could tell it was not in 4WD anymore (by performing a quick drift around the corner) and the sound was gone! But its not. Its back and as loud as ever, from what I understand about electronic 4WD's and what Ive read its more than likely one of two things. the acuator switch under the battery, or the vacuum switch on the transfercase its self. I dont mind changing both as they're pretty cheap parts and it would hurt to change anyhow. My question is.

1.) What can i do to get that thing disengaged until I can work on it this weekend? is it as simple as opening up the acuator?

2.) Is changing this out as easy as it sounds? Pretty much just a 'Plug and Play' thing?

if someone could let me know if Im even on the right track with is or not I would greatly apprecate it!! Im really trying to avoid paying someone to install a $20 part if I can help it. Especially right after a $1200 transmission rebuild...thanks everyone!!!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

To change out the vacuum switch on the t-case, it is as simple as getting underneath the truck, unplugging the hoses, taking the old switch out (it's threaded in, something is telling me either 9/16 or 7/16) the reversing the steps. When you get to putting the hoses back on, you have to pay attention cause there is a pin on the switch that goes in a hole on the hoses to make sure it goes back on the right way.

To do the actuator, you just have to remove the battery and tray (bolts are above the tire), remove the vacuum hose, undo the spring clip that holds the shift cable to the actuator and then unscrew the actuator from the bracket. Then reverse.

IF your noise is anything like I've seen, its probably the switch on the case being stuck. When you pull it, you should be able to see a large portion of the "ball" but if you can't its a bad switch

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

4wd Front Axle Clicking When in 2HI - Goes Away when in 4HI/4LO

Check that out and let us know if it fits with your problem.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Mandrwj is on a distinguished road

Yep..that sounds exactly like the problem. Im just going to change out both of them and get it out of the way. Its freezing cold and I really dont want to get in there or under there twice if I dont have to! Ha..Thanks for te help and advice on this. I have a feeling joinng this site is going to be the best decision Ive made in a long time! I have had problem after problem ever since its hit about 100K or so and a small laundry list of things (non emergancy) that need attended to so Im sure I'll be back soon. Thanks Guys!! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. I'm trying to build our 4wd troubleshooting threads up as I get time. Slowly, but surely, I'm getting things documented so I can send a link instead of typing things out OVER AND OVER again.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Starting Member
Tinted is on a distinguished road

unplug the tccm for now to disengage 4wd.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator

That might not have the desired effect.