Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Trans issues after fluid change. PLease help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:49 PM
aaron1651 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trans issues after fluid change. PLease help

Ok so I changed my transmission fluid, filter and added lucus transmission fluid additive. When I drive my blazer NORMAL its drives just fine, But if I give it some gas in 1st and 2nd gear the truck bloggs or feels like the trany is slipping. It drove just fine before I changed the transmission fliud. Any ideal, do you think it could be the addititve?

Old 12-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member
Clay_Assassin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Trans issues after fluid change. PLease help

Year of vehicle? Milage? Last trans fluid and filter change?

Rumor is, that if a vehicle is not well maintained, and you change the transmission fluid, you run the risk of advancing the failure of the transmission due to the absence of the abrasives in the fluid for the last 100k miles. If your vehicle was well maintained, this issue is unlikely. If you are not the original owner, or have not changed the fluid before and are in excess of 100k miles, this is potentially a problem.

I am not familiar with the lucas additive to comment, however, I stay away from special additives in my ultra high performance vehicles. Too much at risk. Good maintainence will far exceed the value of any additives.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Typically the problems come with flushing high mileage transmissions. A simple pan drop, filter change, and refill of fluid should not cause problems.

I have to ask, were you having problems before that prompted the transmission service?

Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Tranny fluid is full of detergents. New fluid will clean of debris that is making gaskets/seals hold fluid. Once that debris is removed they start to leak. And when they leak, it usually means some type of performance problem. Slippage being one of them.

As a general rule, if your chagning tranny fluid to fix a problem the problem is stil there and more then likley the new fluid wil make it worse. The only solution is a rebuild.

The good news is that you have options.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 AM
aaron1651 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't having any issues before I changed the fluid. I just want to change it because, I am not the original owner and the car has over 140,000 miles on it. I wanted to transmission to last. I guess I may have messed it up now that I have changed the fluid D'OH..

Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

at least now you can get it rebuilt stronger then factory

Old 12-10-2007, 11:55 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your intentions are nobble, unfortunately the previous owner didn't get the fluid changed regularly.

You can add a can of Lucas tranny treatment. That might help it survive longer, while its living, svae your $10 bills for a rebuild.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Lucas makes great products I use many of their products. But I have had a few good tranny guys tell me to NOT USE Lucas trans additive in these new electronic transmissions. It is good for leaks in old transmissions, but not recommended for the newer transmissions. LUBEGARD is the prefered additive. It is a friction modifier, helps lower trans temps.
But I have to agree with the posts that say this is common with lack of service. In the 70s I worked in a transmission shop in San Jose Ca. People would bring in their cars to be serviced & I would pull the pan & man the fluid was awful. About half of these ended up on the rebuild bench before they left the shop. I have seen many I drove in, seemed to shift OK, not great but OK. Change the fluid & filter & it wouldn't back off the rack it was slipping so bad.