Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

A few suspension questions for my 2000 GMC Jimmy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 04:40 PM
mccoycm84 is on a distinguished road
Default A few suspension questions for my 2000 GMC Jimmy.

Hey everyone!

I just recently purchased a 2000 GMC Jimmy Envoy edition with 163,000 miles on it as my weekend/fun vehicle. I have a few questions about the suspension. I try to do all work myself if I am able, but I've never worked on suspensions before...

1. I have bouncing/hopping problem in the front end over dips in the road at highway speeds. It causes a little white-knuckle driving at times. The front shocks look a little rusted just above the lower mount. I just looked at the owner's manual, and to my surprise someone actually filled out their maintenance record! It says new shocks on all wheels done in January 2007 at 116,355 which puts almost 50,000 miles on these shocks. Would replacing the front shocks likely clear up this issue?

2. I know the Envoy editions have a rear air suspension, but it appears that my Envoy may have been converted to normal shocks (I never hear the compressor, even when I first start the vehicle). It currently has Bilstein shocks in the rear that look relatively new and they appear to not be air shocks. If I replace the front shocks, should I go ahead and replace all 4 shocks?

Thanks!!

Last edited by mccoycm84; 04-27-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Found new information about vehicle.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

The bouncing in the front is likely due to worn out shocks. The car is supposed to bounce once and rebound back to normal after a bump. My cobalt was doing the same thing, I would hit a bump, and by the next off ramp, it might have stopped bouncing! New struts fixed all that (reused the springs, just replaced the "shock" part of the strut.

I don't think replacing the rears is necessary, if they are performing as they should, and look new.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Starting Member
blackhawk61 is on a distinguished road

I have the same bouncing issue with a 2002 Blazer and shocks were repaced but did not change anything.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Starting Member
blackhawk61 is on a distinguished road

Was told possible outer tie rod ends

Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

I would look into shocks, tie rods and sway bar links. For shocks, get monroe monotubes, you wont regret it.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

I have the same car you have, and have had the exact same problems,
first i upgraded to a Heavy duty shock, i put Gabriel Ultra on all four corners, that helped, but was still a little soft for my liking, so i found a set of ZR2 torsion bars and that did the trick, its a larger diameter bar with a higher load rating, and yes rhe rear ait compressor probably failed, most likly the compressor piston wore through the cylinder, they can be found more commonly on cadilacs, but i chose to put rear shocks in and delete
the whole rear air ride thing anyway... take a look at my gallery several albums, any questions just ask, currently running BDS 5" lift with 33's and 2" body lift...and we are neighbors, if you want to check it out just let me know, Winchester is just a short drive or we can meet up

Last edited by okiedoak20; 04-29-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM

Thanks okiedoak! One of the shock options I'm considering are Gabriel Max Control. They seem to be their heaviest duty SUV shock...they're just a little more expensive than the Ultras.

Nice Envoy, btw!

Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

very good shock, there is also a shock,forgot the Mfr. but it has a helper spring on it, i saw them on Autozone web site, like $69 a pair. a buddy of mine put a set on his Ford P/U, and it did make a difference,both in rear height and ride

Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Default Front Shocks Installed

Yeah I think KYB makes a shock with a helper spring.

I decided to go with Rancho RS5000 shocks all the way around. Got them for around $45 each on Amazon, of all places...never really thought to shop there for auto parts. Also ordered a set of Moog sway bar end link kits, but they're not here yet My stock link bushings look pretty rough.

My dad and I got the front shocks installed this afternoon. Not too hard of a job...getting the old shocks out is the hardest part in my opinion. We ran out of daylight, so we're doing the rear shocks tomorrow.

With just new shocks up front, the difference i night and day! And now I can definitely feel that the back shocks are pretty much toasted, but don't feel as bad as the old front shocks.

I'll post some pics and give my final impressions tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! This forum is great!

Quick Reply: A few suspension questions for my 2000 GMC Jimmy.