Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Is this normal? Worn out lower ball joints on a 2004 Blazer. LOW MILEAGE.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:00 PM
BlackOnBlack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this normal? Worn out lower ball joints on a 2004 Blazer. LOW MILEAGE.

Hi, I have a 2004 Blazer with only 55,000km on it (34,000mi). I just dropped it off at the shop to have the front pads and rotors done, and the mechanic called to let me know that the lower ball joints are extremely loose and need to be replaced soon. He's a good guy and is always straight forward, never lying about a repair job to make a few bucks. Considering how low the mileage is on my truck, I'm thinking there is no reason the ball joints should be worn out this soon. Has anyone else had the same problem? Of course the GM warranty was only for 3 years / 36,000km and long expired. I'm taking a 1000km road trip in a month and am concerned that this is going to be an issue... the last thing I want is a major repair job 500km from home. I'm having the mechanic write up an estimate for repair, and I know it isn't going to be pretty. Anyone know why they may have failed this soon? Thanks.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:03 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Is this normal? Worn out lower ball joints on a 2004 Blazer. LOW MILEAGE.

They do where out soon I guess due to the suspension on the 4x4s. All the mechanics ive talked with said the lowers go all the time. One of them has changed them on his own blazer numerous times. I had to change my lowers at 32000mi because they were very loose. It should be like $200 to change the balljoints with some Moog or AcDelco ones. If you are going on a trip and they are very loose you probably should do it before hand since you dont want it to snap and have you wheel collapse.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Is this normal? Worn out lower ball joints on a 2004 Blazer. LOW MILEAGE.

$200 is a cheap estimate unless it is doing only one of the ball joints and not using the Moog or AC Delco parts...

Anyway, have you always owned this vehicle since new? If you have, how often have you greased the ball joints? If you haven't owned it since new, you don't know what, if any maintenance was done on the balljoints.

I would get another estimate at a different shop (ask some friends/family who to recommend) and see if they come up with the same thing...

Old 04-26-2008, 09:44 PM

Yah it was just over 200 for the labor andnapa lower balljoints when I had it done when I needed Pitman and Idler arm changed. The mechanic didnt mark up the parts when he did it. I meant 200with laborif he bought his balljoints and had someone put them on. I am the second owner but I have all theservice records from prior owner and they were "lubed" every oilchange and that was like twice a year. You never know that they actually did it unless you actually get under there yourself and check. I grease all front end points when I do anything up front or an oil change. The roads really suck here so its harder on everything. Like everyone I know has either a broken spring or worn out shock or balljoints up here. You cant drive an 1/8mi without hitting a few pot holes or heaves.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm the second owner of the truck, (had it since Aug '07) so there is really no way of me to know if/when everything was greased. Have to just bite the bullet this time I guess. Also, can the worn out ball joints have anything to do with an intermittent scratching, squeak i'm getting from the front brakes? I just had them replaced, so the pads & rotors are in perfect shape.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM

I wouldnt think they would but weirder things can happen. Did you do the brakes and if so did you put the wear clips on the write way?

Old 04-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Yeah it's not the wear clips making the noise... It's only after the brakes are warmed up, and only when I hit the pedal. I'm hoping it's just a hard spot on the pad. Although getting the same noise before and after a brake job, and from the same wheel is a bit of a coincidence. Anyways, I'm going to get a friend and we'll do the ball joints ourselves. I'm not paying the $700 the mechanic quoted me.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 PM

$700 dear good what was it a GM dealer?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Butts is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a 4x4 s-series, its gonna' need ball joints more often. I just deal with it. $70 for all 4and a little labour its not that big of a deal.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
willum98e is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one very loose lower ball joint on a 2004 blazer 45,000 miles. had the same problem on my last (97) blazer. some of that is normal.. however... I am sure that those ball joints don't get greased with every oil change (even the dealer "misses" them). the best way to grease the bearings is to pull the wheels.. maybe its the only way. dry bearings fail. Ive been quoted over $500 for all 4 bearings replaced.

actually, blazers do fairly well... check out the number of explorer owners who bitch about ball joints online.

Quick Reply: Is this normal? Worn out lower ball joints on a 2004 Blazer. LOW MILEAGE.