Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Weld rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Jimmy_Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Weld rear end?

99 Blazer, lifted about 2 feet, jeep wagoneer front axle, ford explorer 8.8 rear, sitting on 35s. The traction on the rear end is pretty pathetic honestly... Can't even make it out of my snow covered driveway in 2wd (granted its slightly uphill). Always get slip with one tire spinning. Its an off road rig only. I would like opinions on welding the rear diffetential. Would it be a good idea, or should I buy a locker? Like I said its off road rig only and I don't need any fancy lockers, just wondering if welding it would be a bad idea or if I should just get a full locker. Thanks!!

Old 02-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Nothing wrong with welding an off-road only rig but read up on how to do it properly.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Yes I have been looking into it a bit, I'll have to make sure I don't weld the pinion to the ring like some have done lol. Thanks for the input!

Old 02-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road

I found a lot of valuable info on DonLs "Axle Swap" at: https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...le-swap-93991/

Getting something better than "Open" is the heart of the matter. Lockers, Posi-trac and the G80 Gov-loc are discussed here

I am a little too new to know how to make those smooth links with the thread name instead of the URL but I/m gettin there.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road

Go figure. The cool link thing just happened by itself. It looks like I know the trick but what's better is that I don't have to.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:18 AM

Yes I'm aware of those, I was actually thought about throwing a g80 axle back under it but then the lug patterns would be different. I would invest in a locker, but there's no point, I might as well look for a full size axle with a posi already in it. So I'm thinking about going with welding this axle just for now.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:34 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

heres how i did mine like 8 years ago

Name:  welded1-1_zps9pzuzgsy.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  132.7 KB

just remember to leave one side open so you can get the c-clips out if needed too, on the other side i just welded the corners of the gears. for a offroad only truck it made the world of difference

also make sure you clean the heck out of the gears... even looking at that picture with all the oil in there i dont know how the heck its still holding

Last edited by abig84; 02-11-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:35 PM

Yeah I did some more research and did a practice run on the gears of a spare diff my buddy had, that he will now throw into his Camaro lol. I just welded the 8 corners, didn't insert a plate. Did a nice preheat on it as well.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Beginning Member
Stumpalump is on a distinguished road

You will wish you spent the $250 bucks on a lunchbox locker everytime you go out. Dragging a tire around everywhere you go sucks.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Starting Member
awesomeamerican1 is on a distinguished road

That looks like it'll be a pain in the *** to ever take that thing apart again. I probably wouldn't do it. I would wait for funds for a locker to do it right. But to each their own. And if its an offroad dedicated rig and going to be trailered all the time then why not.

Quick Reply: Weld rear end?