Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

My New Spare! has this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

My thought has always been, "Do you REALLY want to crawl under a loaded truck to get the spare down?".

Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

my brother had a flat last winter on his F150 4X4
Slushy sloppy day
Called AAA to change it
He sad the AAA was pissed off because he had to crawl around in the slop to get his full size spare out from under the bed

Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
My thought has always been, "Do you REALLY want to crawl under a loaded truck to get the spare down?".
yeah i dont know why they quit putting them in the body like they do in cars, they are basically in the same place anyways but you can get at them from the inside.

theres so many cable i see broke at work too i always wonder what ditch they flew into.

heres what i was talking about in that other post about how minivans put them in the center of the vehicle, totally covered so you cant even check the air pressure on them.

basically im standing towards the back of the van looking forward.

theres no reason why they couldnt have just dropped the floor down and made that accessible from the inside somehow. just a horrible design, imagine getting that out in the snow, loaded down with family and supplies. what were they thinking?

Attached Thumbnails My New Spare! has this happened to you?-img-20130220-00412_zpsffae3bb4.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Starting Member
Neb15 is on a distinguished road

yup found out my spare was flat when i needed it recently. I sure hope to find a replacement on the side of the road, it makes me nervous to drive too far without one.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I found some great chain on the side of the road, its in my garage for pulling stuff now. 2 legnths about 40 feet each of heavy stuff like flatdeck guys use.

I found 4x 18inch wheels with 2 new tires on them too in a scrap tire pile. Someone with too much money must have dumped them.

I found a suitcase full of nice clothing (suit type stuff, not my style) so I gave it to the goodwill store.

I found a 5th wheel pin puller once, and a deck strap bar (truckers tools)

Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Beginning Member
kcb37 is on a distinguished road

Suppose the big thing I found was an 8ft fiberglass step ladder and 2 trash cans. Took the ladder and drove home real slow cause I didn't have any straps.

Neb15 I am curious if your nervous about driving with no spare, but you never bothered to check if it even had air before, whats the difference now?
A spare that is never touched is no better then not having one, except of course the added frustration of changing the tire only to find you now have 2 flat tires and are still out of luck.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Starting Member
Neb15 is on a distinguished road

Ya not checking the spare out wasn't my best decision.
When I took in my flat tire, a nice screw from a job site, the shop said the cuts in my sidewalls (both front tires on inside) could blow out any time and should be replaced asap. So to answer kcb37, knowing my tires are not so good is why the spare situation is bothering me now.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
The lucky I have been as for finding things in the middle of the road was cinderblock brick which I ran over cause there was no room to swerve around it.Luckily It didnt do any damage.

I found one of those "whirly bird" vents they put on roofs this way one time. Pulled the remains out from underneath the chevelle and kept on going. A few miles later I notice the lights dimming and the temperature rising. It had cut up the crank-water pump-alternator v-belt.

Had a buddy bring me one, and changed it in the gas station parking lot, after having to buy a crappy set of wrenches. I asked half a dozen people with tool boxes in their trucks to borrow a wrench. Apparently the boxes were just for show because they all claimed they didn't have one.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

I actually had to jack up my old work van (Peugot Boxer) to get the spare out from under it. I was held in place by a bracket (cage) that was hinged in the front and had a cable in the back.
Wind it down and unhook the cable from the bracket and then I couldn't get it out from under the van. I'm really glad I was at home in my driveway and not on the side of the road.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Starting Member
USMC3782 is on a distinguished road

this is why i only drive 2 door blazers with the tire on the back... i hated having to dig under a truck to get a spare.

Quick Reply: My New Spare! has this happened to you?