Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Polyurethane bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:10 AM
hubbmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Polyurethane bushings

Are they're any downfalls to installing a Polyurethane Bushing kit??? If it does all that is says it will (improve handling, vehicle reaction, etc...) then it seems that for $150 it's a common sense thing.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:19 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Polyurethane bushings

The bushings arnt pricey...its the install. The control arm kits are probably the hardest.

But they are supposed to be much better. No wear down over time! I'm about to replace my sway bar bushings with the engergy suspension sway bar kit.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I just replaced my upper and lower control arm bushings with ES bushings. Getting the control arms out is not the hard part. Getting the old bushing out and the new ones in is. Ended up using a big vice and an assortment of large sockets to get the job done. The upper bushing you will need to reuse the steel parts so when removing the old bushing, leave the outer steel part in the UCA. It'll make the job easier. You will need to get that same outer steel part out on the lower.

To be honest, I haven't noticed a difference in the ride yet. I haven't installed my sway bar yet as one of the brackets needs to be straightened out first. Guess it got bent on one of my offroad adventures. I'll put it back in when I get back from hunting.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Hrm...I thought it was pretty much impossible to do without a shop press or w/e they have. That's mildly inspiring

Ive got a super awesome squeak I hope is just my sway bar as it was submerged in mud for a while....but if it's my control arm bushings...I might just have to attempt 'em.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 AM
z28jeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Control arm bushings come out easily with a torch. Then you don't need to worry about removing the metal sleeves at all. Just melt the rubber out of the sleeve, clean them out with a wire brush (like the ones used to clean copper pipe fittings....I usually cut the plastic handle off and put them in a cordless drill) then lube the new bushings and press them in with a vice. Or if you don't have a vice, pounding them in with a decent sized hammer will work too.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Using a torch does work great for the uppers as you have to reuse the outer sleeve, but the lower you still need to get the out sleeve out as the new bushing comes already inserted into a sleeve.

I had access to a press and it would work for installing the bushings but not removing. More than likely, unless you fab up something to provide support between the bushings, you could bend your control arms while pressing in new bushings. It took a few more hands to use the vice but I wasn't worried about bending or tweaking my control arms.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:31 AM
scoobisnax21 is an unknown quantity at this point

polyurethane bushings are great. used them on the vw I'm restoring when I lowered the front. Just be very sure to use that little package of lithium grease that comes with the kit, otherwise they tend to be very squeaky. They last musch longer b/c they do not deteriorate like rubber but consequently they are a little noisy.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:31 AM
Beginning Member
bikernutgoofy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 1992 S-10 Blazer 4 dr, 4X4 and want to replace the front sway bar bushing with grease able polyurethane bushings if available can some one direct me in the right direction with part #'s? The bar is the 31.5mm or 1 1/4" what ever you feel better using, I want the frame mount as well as the A-frame ones (all 4 bushings) but I seem to only find the frame ones in my search and not the A-frame. I have a hell of a noise in the vehicle and I noticed the bushing are worn and I am also going to replace the front shocks, I have Rancho in there now and they are life time garantee but can't find the purchase slip and they would find a way to not replace them any way. This is a stock vehicle with no mods and I purchased it new so no one else as had any thing to do with it.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 PM
BudRacing is an unknown quantity at this point

Your noise is most likely coming from something other than sway bar bushings. However, those are the easiest to replace and do make the roll feel a little stiffer. The most difference you can feel when replacing bushings is after replacing the control arm bushings. As WolfPack said, they're difficult to install. But to add to that, do NOT use polyurethane on your control arms. They will start squeaking after a couple weeks/months no matter how well you grease them. I've tried everything and I still have to go back and grease them every other month or so. Moog problem solver control arms bushings are what I would suggest.

Other possible noise makers:
ball joints - popping noise
hood hinge - rattling over small bumps in the road
loose caliper - better tighten that **** quick
tie rods - also popping and creaking

Old 02-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Beginning Member
bikernutgoofy is an unknown quantity at this point

not changing my A-frame bushings just sway bar bushings as well as shocks on all 4 corners. see what kinds of noises I have after this week end.

Quick Reply: Polyurethane bushings