Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Major Pain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings

I got a 99 Blazer with 4 wheel drive yesterday and since I got it, I can hear a roaring noise coming from the left side. Guy I bought it from said might be tires and went to a tire shop today and they said it was the left wheel bearing going out. Went and bought the hub assembly ,took the tire off and looks like it's been replaced. But the upper and lower control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings are all craked , dry rotted and split in some areas and looks like the cv boot has had grease coming out. It's not popping or anything that would suggest a bad cv problem but makes me wonder. Has anyone had this problem? Trying to narrow this thing down.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:31 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings

Typically when a cv boot leaks, your cv joint is about shot. Replacing the half shaft isn't hard. I find the best way to pull the cv shaft is to remove the hub assemble. The Haynes/Chilton manuals have you pop the ball joints and tie rod. No need for all that. The hub assemble slides out, not in. Unbolt it via the 3 bolts in the back, slide the hub out, and then pull the half shaft. Granted you have to take the caliper, caliper bracket, and rotor off first. But that is easier then popping balljoints and the tierod. A good tech with air tools and a lift can do it in about 1/2hr.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

i tried to save myself some $$ by just replacing the boot. works fine, but it was a headache doing the job. next time ill just spend the extra money and replace the whole halfshaft to save time and energy. the clamps are a huge pain in the ***!

Old 12-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Major Pain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for all the info. The bushings were a pain. Had to use the torch to get them out. Good thing I have air impacts or I never would have gotten the new ones in. The CV shaft I found was ok. Bought a zip band clamp and secured the boot. Changed the sway bar linkage bushings on both sides and changed out both shocks. Handles much better and rides smoother but I still got that d*mn noise but have aleast narrowed it down to the tires which will hve to wait till tax time.