1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Run out of ideas. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 02:09 PM
vmx120 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Run out of ideas. Help!

My 94 4.3l 4x4 auto tranny, is givening me some major headaches. Thre months ago it started acting like it was running out of gas yet it had a half tank. I checked for fuel line leaks, replaced plugs, wires, etc. New fuel filter, checked fuel pressure, cleaned egr valve. Still would not work right. Just yesterday replaced the MAP sensor. Nothing ,so I checked for stored codes again, this time it gave me a 22 which in my chilton manual said TPS bad. So went down this AM and bought and changed the TPS. I took of for test drive and all seemed well until I got about 1/4 mile down the road and it just died. I pulled over and it started up right away and then I pulled out and started to go again. Same thing, just as it shifts into third it was like something just cut off the gas.. Plulled over and it started up right away and it actually idles okay but once itswarmed up and gets going as soon as it hits that third gear it just shuts off. I'm pulling my hair out here folks and could sure use some help since I am compaltely lost as to what it going on right now.

Thanks

Old 01-26-2007, 05:20 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Run out of ideas. Help!

Check the TV (throttle valve) cable, if you have one it is on the pass side of the TB and goes down to the tranny.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

Old 01-26-2007, 08:49 PM

Mark thanks for the info. I went and took a look. There are two cables on the throttle linkage one of them runs over to a large metal diaphram that has a hose from the intake manifoldvacuum and the other runs down towards the tranny.. What is this thing and do you have any idea how it works?

Geoff

Old 01-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Your trans is computer controlled, noTV cable. That other cable going to the diaphram is your cruise control servo. Korey.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Okay thanks. Going to try and figure out a way to drive this thing with a FuelPressure Testerrigged so I can see it while I drive.Something is shutting off the fuel when its under load and about the only thing I can think of is the pressure regulator.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 PM

well, didnt need to rig up the tester. I did a quick recheck of the fuel pressure and lo and behold it starts to drop. Didnt do that earlier when I tested it. I pulled the plenum and noticed some, not a lot, of fuel on the regulator side of the plenum. I replaced the regulator, hooked up the pressure tester and it still drops with no leaks in the injection system or fuel lines. I looked from the tank up to the plenum and cant see any leaks. On top of that it now is throwing a 22 and 34 code but I just replaced the MAP and TPS. I put it all back together and drove it a while and it still does the same thing, hard to start, idles fine, but when you drive it just quits The Chilton manual I have doesnt go into great detail on the 4.3 cpi, but I noticed in the wiring diagram that there is a fuel pressure switch in line with the fuel pressure relay. First, at what pressure should the fuel pump kick back on,and second where are thepressure switch and relay located? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks