1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

antifreeze everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 04:40 PM
skitzobmxr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default antifreeze everywhere

hey guys im new here just got my first truck and i got a problem, when i popped the hood a few days ago i wuz checkin everything out (oil fluid lvls and wutever) i noticed a pool of antifreeze on top of my engine one of my friends said it could be a headgasket i dont know all that much about trucks can i still drive without messin anything up

Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: antifreeze everywhere

If it's on top of the intake, then it's either a blown intake gasket or something leaking from either the heater hose or the t-stat elbow. You really should get it cleaned off and see if you can tell where it's coming from. We can help more from there.

BTW, what year/engine are we talking about here? Please add any pertinent information into your signature and attach it to your posts to better help us answer your questions.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:26 PM

its a 4.3L v6
the trucks a 1991 s10 4 door with four wheel drive and it should have ABS but thats broke ( any estimates on how much it would cost to get it fixed?)

Old 12-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on what the problem is. If it's just the gasket on the t-stat housing, then it wouldn't be more than a $8 part (t-stat & gasket), but it would probably be an hour labor (book time). Add to that having a mechanic diagnose the problem.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 PM

how much would it cost to just have a mechanic replace it because i kno very little about fixing things...im still learning

Old 12-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Administrator

That depends on the mechanic and the hourly rate they get. Most places are between $50 and $70 per hour. So you can expect something to the tune of $80 if it is just the gasket on the t-stat housing. Now if it is the intake manifold, get your wallet out and hand it to the mechanic because there isn't going to be much left in there when he gets done.

Heck, it could be leaking out of the upper radiator hose which you could replace yourself with a screw driver and a pair of plyers.

Best advice I can give you is to have someone do an estimate on it. You may have to pay for them to narrow it down, but definitely have them give you an estimate before they do the repair.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
ken erestu is an unknown quantity at this point

Skitzo,
I have the exact same vehicle. If you are not mechanically inclined, take your car to a respected mechanic. Peace of mind is worth paying for.

By the way, did you know that there was a recall on the ABS issue? A good mechanic will know how to take care of this issue as well.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:43 PM

no i dint kno about the recall...is it gonna cost any more money bcuz of it bcuz it brakes fine the abs jus dont work

Old 12-14-2006, 11:13 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

schitzo, all u need for this job would be a flat screwdriver, 9/16 socket and ratchet wrench, scrapper and some rags to catch the coolant. do a quick test first. add coolant to the rad, run the truck up to temp. now watch for coolant leaks, if its spitting out the overflow tank then ur thermostat is stuck closed, otherwise look for leaks around trhe hose and t-stat housing which is on the end of the upper hose conneted to the engine, like kyle said, this is not a hard job and should be done by urself. the parts are 8-12 bucks, and a mechanic will charge almost 100 an hr(at least they do on long island). then whatever stupid charges they come up with. so this should be a no-brainer. do me a favor a save some money!

Old 12-14-2006, 04:31 PM

aright so i checked the hose nearest to the puddle and the clamp wuz loose...i tightened it up and took it for a ride.....no leaks thx for the help

Quick Reply: antifreeze everywhere