1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Breaks squealing need help badly!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:56 AM
shamokin_blazer1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Breaks squealing need help badly!

Hi
I own a 1994 checy S-10 blzer/Tahoe 4 cylinder. A few months ago my breaks were squealing i thought it was the wear tabs, pulled the wheel off and the pads were fairly new so my girlfriends grandfather and i changed the caliper and put new shoes on it.This fixed the problem up untill now the squealing is back, also it stops squealing when you push the break peddle in. I did some research tonight before posting this the only thing that i could find that seemed consistent with my problem besides the caliper or pads being bad is the flex hose from the frame to the caliper could be blocked from the rubber breaking down inside i am gonna try to tackle this issue asap but would like to hear any insight from you guys what other possible explanations as to what it could be any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my only vehicle and i rely on it to get me to my job everyday as well to the grociery store well thanks for taking your time on reading this and have a good one. PS on a side not after driving about 15 miles blue smoke comes outta the wheel well wich means something is rubbing pretty good in there.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:42 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Breaks squealing need help badly!

Welcome to the forum.

It's not real clear to me but I get the impression this problem is on one wheel only.
If you've already changed the calipers and the pads then your problem is probably the brake hose.

The problem with the brake hose that makes it hard to diagnose is that you can't see the problem. They break down on the inside. The pressure from the master cylinder is strong enough to apply the brake caliper but the fluid wont return, so the brake remains applied.
I'm guessing that the brakes probably pull to the right or left also on application.

If I'm right so far, change the hose (and the copper washers on the caliper end of the hose), bleed them and happy motoring.

If it's on both front wheels, it's probably the master cylinder.

Let us know how you make out, or if you have any questions.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible that your slide pins are seized up as well... This would force the outside pad to always be riding on the surface of the rotor... You should also generously lubricate the slider pins with high temp caliper grease. If the pins are seized or pitted, replace them. If the boots are torn or brittle, replace them. These parts are a lot cheaper thans skimping and doing the job over again sooner than expected. I replace all of the pins/boots at each brake job.

One way to combat vibration is with some of the newer brake anti-squeak/squeal products. I have one that is used by coating the back of both pads and letting it set up for alteast 10 minutes before assembly. This product will form a rubberized layer on the back of the pad that will dampen out vibrations which are the source of the squeal.

Only other word of advice I can give you is to clean, Clean, CLEAN every surface that mates up with ANYTHING else. These surfaces should be rust/brake-dust free. Use a high temp grease (sold as caliper grease) on any of these surfaces, paying special attention to the surface that the inner pad slides against.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Beginning Member
IBlazenlow is an unknown quantity at this point

I completely agree with swart, but what brake pads did you buy? If they are the organic type pads they are junk. Replace with oe type pads, semi metallic or ceramic pads only. The organic pads will be noisey and turn your wheels black in no time.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:00 AM
99whiteblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question about the caliper because my truck is haveing the same issue. I always thought if the caliper was bad the truck would pull either left or right. But what if it doesn't pull when the brakes are applied could the caliper still be the problem? Another question brake dust can that be a sign of a faulty caliper also.

thanks

Old 10-10-2006, 02:09 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest taking it somewhere so they can do a brake inspection...some places do it for free and give free estimates.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 1996BZR

I suggest taking it somewhere so they can do a brake inspection...some places do it for free and give free estimates.
Just be prepared for them to state a LOT of things that actually don't need immediate attention to get you worried.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 PM
99whiteblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:28 PM
honkeetonk is an unknown quantity at this point

mine did/does the same thing, the breaks squeel constantly. Before I got them changed last they were so bad that it was just too embarassing to drive around. Had the front pads changed - I know I need to get new rotors but the pads broke in and the squeeling stopped but its back with vengence.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:28 AM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

When the brakes were done, was an Anti-Squeal compound applied to the backs of the pads? (the steel part....)

I am a real big fan of the Spray on (rattle can) Disk brake Anti-Squeal. I usually apply a rather liberal coat to the backing plates before I start disassembly. By the time I am ready to put them in, it has dried to a rather tacky consistancy, and the brakes are nice and quiet. I bought the hideously expensive carbon ceramic pads, lifetime warranty.... and they grab nicely. Bit of an improvement for the stock brakes.

Quick Reply: Breaks squealing need help badly!