1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

How to remove oil pan on 1st gen 4x4 4.3 "W"

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road
Default How to remove oil pan on 1st gen 4x4 4.3 "W"

Hey everyone
I have solved the fuel issue on my daughter's 93 Jimmy. Now there is a knocking coming from the engine. I'm wondering how much is involved in dropping the oil pan. Is it even possible or do I have to pull the engine? I might be a spun rod bearing, but its not very rythmic, kind of a rapid rattling. I don't know, maybe a collapsed lifter? I'm not to familiar with the balance shaft on these engines, do the ever come loose and create noise like this? I surely do not want my kid driving the Jimmy in this condition. Please advise.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

You need to pull the engine. The pick up tube gets in the way of removing the pan when in the blazer. At least so ive been told so. Before you go through all this Get a stethoscope and pull the valve covers and check each one for noise,it might be a lifter,if it is i wouldnt worry too much about it unless its making some crazy noise. Try some engine flush etc.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the tip chris015! I'll bring home my stethoscope from work tonight. Man I hope it IS just a lifter. Can anyone verify my oilpan question? I'm not set up to pull an engine here at my apartment complex. Management would lose their mind.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Not sure, they way I believe it is either pull/lift engine, or drop the front diff.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:51 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

"Management would lose their mind."

LOL.

Yeah its not coming out withought major surgery. There is a place in my town where you can rent shop space for a day, or a paint booth or something and has tools. I went there as kids many years ago. Should look into that.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Starting Member

Good news! Well for me anyway. I took chris015's advice about the stethoscope and while I was probing around the engine, the tapping/rattling stopped! So, I'm pretty sure it was just a lifter that was starved for oil, since it has been almost a month since the motor actually ran. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to change the oil in Jimmy. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Woohoo 1 point for me.

When you change the oil substitute one quart of oil for one quart of transmission fluid. Run it for 1000 miles and change it again. The fluid will clean up them lifters. Run some 10-40 weight oil when you do this! Ive done it for years.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:02 AM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Please, don't run automatic transmission fluid in your engine. The next time, and perhaps even sooner, change your oil and in place of one quart of oil add a quart of Rislone.

This is good stuff, its been on the market for a number of years and it has proven itself over and over for me.

Just a few years ago after a oil chance I had a lifter sticking very bad. The engine not only knocked, it was missing.

I quickly got myself self 2 quartes of Rislone, one for this oil change and another one to change the oil again in about 1000 miles. It cured my problem. It is the best thing on the market for a stuck lifter.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 AM
Starting Member

Thank you again,Chris015. I've done the quart of ATF in the engine before. I have used it as a flush and it cleans out the engine pretty good. I've seen the product Rislone in the car parts store. I'm going to get some this weekend. Thanks JustJerry.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

AFT is great to run though your gas. It does 2 wonderful thing for your engine. One is it helps clean the injectors much better than those injector cleaners sold for that purpose in stores.

Plus it prolongs your fuel pump that's in your gas tank. A mechanic told me several years back that running 8 to 10 ounces of AFT to 20 gallons of gas will help keep the innards of your fuel pump up to snuff. Today's gasoline is much drier that gas of yesterday years, & this dry gas is a killer for today's fuel pumps that are so much trouble and costly to replace, more especially the high pressure fuel pumps.

I'm not surprised that AFT is so good for our cars of today, back in the 60 through the 80's during my truck driving days I always run at least 2 quarts of AFT in each fuel tank on my truck once ever week, and very seldom did I have any trouble with my injectors, & it seems to help the injector pump as well for I never had an injector pump to fail. Plus it was much cheaper than those bottles of injector cleaner sold at truck stops. Plus whenever I would change a fuel filter on my truck I would fill it with AFT, not diesel fuel.

Quick Reply: How to remove oil pan on 1st gen 4x4 4.3 "W"