1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

I have to get her goin again.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Beginning Member
Kerville Spokshave is on a distinguished road
Default I have to get her goin again.

This may be a long post and I really dont know much about repair,so please bear with me.
I have a 92 s10 blazer,was given to me 3 years ago.2wheel drive 4.3. automatic.3 mo's ago it felt like it was slipping,so I added some Lucus...BAM! Much better.Last Monday I took my wife to the hospital to have our baby,and it started shaking real bad and would not go over 15mph.real rough idle.....So yesterday I replaced the roter & cap ,wires and plugs.Smoother idle but still the same other wise.Then I replaced throttle sencer...it got a little better.It has a hard time getting into 2nd,and almost redlines trying to get into 3rd.

The fluid level is a little low but fine.Not burnt and such.It was recomended that I change the Trans. control solenoid....I am starting to run real low on loot but I need a running truck for the baby....Could that part be the problem?I hope so as I cannot afford to replace the tranny or truck.Any help is welcome.Thanx in advance....Frank

Old 03-25-2012, 10:43 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Is your ses lite on?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Beginning Member

Nope...The only one that is on is the break one,but that has been on since I got it.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 AM
BF Veteran

what happens when you shift through the gears manually?
Is there a hesitation going into gear when you shift from backing up to drive?

Read the codes out anyway
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/h...-codes-343044/

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-25-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Beginning Member

Backing up seems to have a lil more gitty up,but forward is slow to engage,and 2nd jumps.3rd...havent been able to get to...it revs real high ,and I am afraid to push it that far.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM
BF Veteran

NO EXPERT BUT... It sounds to me like your trans front pump is gone. Did it go from working fine to this all of a sudden or over a trip or two.

Here's a case where Lucas really only delays inevitable. For it to work for any length of time it's best when there IS a slight burnt smell in the fluid. That means friction material. If none and fluid is clear, I woulld think lack of pump pressure. And I dont think the pressure solenoid is it. Problem being I know just a little about transmissions.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-25-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Beginning Member

yeppers the day before it went out I drove like 8 miles to see my mother in the hospital(drove fine)The next day I drove 3 miles to take my wife to the hospital to have the baby,it drove fine untill I reach a parking space.It started to shake real bad,would not stay running and I was hard pressed to get it over 10mph.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Beginning Member

I tryed to look that part up on Autozone.com..They said no part found....I have an Automatic.Is that part only on a Man. trans...Or both?Sorry but I am new to d.i.y

Old 04-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Beginning Member

ok heres my update.....I replaced the trans solenoid,the erg valve,the fuel filter .The idle is good in park but when I change into gear it bogs out.When I can keep it runnin,it has no pick up.I canget it up to 60ish now,but when I slow it down to brakes are real hard to push,and it trys to bog out again....any thought on what to do next?Thanx in advance..

Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

From what I know the transmission has a vaccuum line going to it that reads the pressure. This pressure determines when the shift points are. If the vaccuum line is old and leaking maybe it isn't shifting properly.

If I'm right, bear with me, you will have to follow lines that are plugged into the Throttle Body and run down the firewall. I'd check for now that all the lines are connected at the throttle body which is the thing on the top of the engine that lets the fuel and air into the intake.

Could someone back me up on the vaccuum controlled shifting?

If I'm wrong I'm sorry.

Also, if a vaccuum leak, you could, depending on the leak, experience higher then normal idle conditions.

Questions... to help diagnose your bog issue...

1. Does it rev up fine in neutral/park without hesitation?
2. When you shift it in gear and you say power brake it or give it gas does it feel like you have no power or almost like it wants to flood itself out?
3. Lets say you accalerate slowly. Just more then idle slowly, does the truck ever make it to 3rd gear, or does it just want to rev higher and higher in second.

Last edited by burning_soul07; 04-24-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: added questions

Quick Reply: I have to get her goin again.