1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Interior lights won't shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM
LMMHBSimpson is on a distinguished road
Default Interior lights won't shutoff

Hey all.

just recently ive been experiencing some electrical difficulties on my 93 S10.
First of all, its the interior lights that wont shut off when i close the door, so i have to unhook the battery everytime i leave the car... the switches in the door seems to be alright, ive had them loose and checked them.
I might think the problem is the relay for the lights, but where can i find it?, sorry but im no expert...

Second of all, the "Check Gauges" is on and i have a dead temp gauge, but the sensor on the motor is just fine, so im pretty sure that its just a loose contact somewhere, but do you have any ideas on where? or how many contact points the wire has?.
(4.3L nonVortec with 5 speed manual transmission)

I would also like to apologize for my English, i hope its readable .

Kind Regards
Jan-Erik S. H.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do the lights shut off when you have all of the switches out of the truck? Do the switches test out properly (continuity when the switch is out and open connection when the button is pressed in)?

I believe that there are two different temperature sensors for your truck. One is located in the intake manifold near the thermostat and will be a two wire setup. This is the one that the ECU reads for determining proper engine operating parameters. I think the other is located in the driver side cylinder head (but could be in the passenger side cylinder head). This is a one wire sensor that is used for the gauge alone.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 PM

Hi thanks for reply.

Now ive only had the drivers side out, i havent done any tests yet (dont have equipment), but will do as soon as i get.
It started just one night when i was closing the door, so i thought the contact was broken, but it looks just allright.

About the gauges, if its sensor no. 2 that shows on the dash i will think that the problem is somewhere there, since the dash is dead, (well, on rare occasions it shows the temperature, for a couple of mins, then drops out) so my guess is a loose contact, but do you know where these contacts is, can it be so simple as a loose contact behind the dash (analog btw)

Thanks again

Thanks again

Old 03-15-2010, 06:04 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

As far as your interior light stuck on... not for nuthin, but did you check the dash dimmer switch? I have accidentally clicked it on myself by mistake. Other than that, I would check the door switches to see that they are not damaged in any way. Also, you can make a simple tester by soldering a couple wires onto a small 12 volt light. Connect your new tester between one side of the switch, and the other end to the connector, then have the other side of the switch connected to it's connector. If the switch works correctly, it should turn the light off when the switch is pressed in.

Last edited by LuvMyTJ; 03-15-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

If you dont use the tools ever, then you might do well to go into the NAPA or whatever parts store you have around. They usually have 2 mix bins on the floor that have stuff like test lights and multimeters and fuse kits and spark plug service sets and many other handy things for $4.99 and $9.99 per package. The tools arent professional quality, but they would work fine for the occasional troubleshooting and wont break the bank.

Also on my vortec engine the temperature switch has one wire coming off it that can have a bad contact very easily, and it is located on the passenger side cyl head and takes a 13/16 socket to get it out if you want to change it, the new sensor was 45 bucks canadian. Its brass in color and was the only sensor there with a wire on it. Check that the wire hasnt melted on the exhaust and that its tight, you might the be able to squeeze the connector closed a little so it holds on tighter.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM

thanks again.

Brent helped me out with the interior lights!

Ohsofly i had a look at the other sensor and yes it looks kind of melted on the contact point, so ill have a look at that tomorrow!

Thanks all!!