1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Transmission not shifting on its own

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Starting Member
NorWestBlazer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Transmission not shifting on its own

Hello group -- this is my first post on the forum. I've really enjoyed reading all the helpful information you all have been providing. Keep it up!

I'm having an issue with a vehicle I just bought. I just purchased a 1993 Chevy Blazer Tahoe LT, and the rig ran beautifully for about a month. One day recently I began checking all the fuses in the fuse block (one by one) underneath the driver's console looking for blown ones. I didn't find any, but the next day I went to drive it and the transmission started acting strange. When I put the transmission into drive (or Overdrive on the column), it feels like it wants to start off in 3rd or 4th gear. Even after the RPMs climb in this gear while traveling down the highway, it still won't shift into the next gear. It will drive, but its extremely slow to get up to speed. Shifting to either 1st or 2nd on the column both feel like 2nd gear. Also, I've noticed that while decelerating at highway speeds (50-60 mph), and shifting back and forth from Drive to Overdrive, the RPMs DO change, but they won't change if I'm traveling at a constant speed on a flat surface.

Both Reverse and Neutral act normal. And if it helps, I've had to jump start the vehicle a couple of times due to an aged battery over the course of a couple months when it sits for a couple weeks without use.

After reading these forums, I've found these possible problems:
-bad Shift B solenoid
-bad PCM
-bad VSS
-bad TPS

Based on the symptoms, can anyone help me narrow down the issue?

Thanks!