1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

87 4x4 transfer case is it NV233?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road
Default 87 4x4 transfer case is it NV233?

I am trying to troubleshoot why my light of the floor shifter isnt coming on for the front wheels when my 4x4 is engaged. Everything works, but the light isnt coming on when its engaged. The bulb is not burnt out, I already checked that, and the contacts for the bulb are not getting power. The light dot thats next to 4High does come on and also every other light on there. Any ideas.???

Old 11-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The light is triggered by a switch in the front axle. It could be a bad switch or just a disconnected wiring connector at the switch. I would check up there first.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

So, I got a new switch for that light that tells me that the front axle 4x4 is engaged.

The actuator is pulling the cable for the front axle all the way it can go when it is in 4x4. I was wondering if anyone knows where the wiring for that switch goes and how I test the wiring to make sure that it is working. I have a digital voltmeter.

I followed the wiring up, but it goes in line with a few other wires, and as far as I can tell it goes into the cab via the 2 wiring clip harnesses that are next to the brake booster.

I most likely should have a power or ground coming down and when the switch is activated the continuity should turn on the light.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The switch just connects the two wires. You can test the wiring by installing a jumper wire at the connector and looking inside to see if the light turns for the front axle engagement.