1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

What happened to my blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 04:40 AM
Gippy87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happened to my blazer?

I own a 1993 s10 blazer with the 4.3L vortec. Im pretty good with cars but have never had this hapened to me so maybe you guys can help me out. I was driving home and my car started making a winding noise sounded sorta like a power steering pump when u turn the wheel i didnt think to much of it but i checked it out sounded like it was coming from around te alty. I checked all my fluids and everythign seemed fine the noise went away after driving a little more then it started again then got worse and made a bunch of noise. all the sudden my engine just dies like it locked up or somthing, when i try and turn it overitturns about 1/4 a turnthen stops dead in its tracks when i let go of the key it just goes back to its original postion like there is somthign binding keeping it from turning over. Anyways i have no clue what this is and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:17 AM
SDimeBlazerlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: What happened to my blazer?

spun a bearing maybe?[&:]

Old 03-24-2007, 06:24 AM

i was thinking maybe one of the accessories froze up but i dont think the belt has enoug tension on it to stop a running motor i would thhink the belt would just slip on the frozen up pulley

Old 03-25-2007, 12:18 AM

Nobody knows what this could be? I was driving at 35mph and the engine just shuts down. The starter engages when i try to start it but it cant turn it over, but its not like a dead battery issue where it doesnt have enough power. If it were my timing chain what are the chances my valves didnt get smashed by the pistons?

Old 03-25-2007, 03:45 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Is the battery fully charged or has it lost voltage?

Have you checked the oil and coolant level and condition?
When you try to start it does the positive battery cable get really hot?

You can also pull the spark plugs and try to turn it over (no compression to stop it), check for coolant in the cylinders.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

Remove your serpentine belt and see which pulley is frozen. You can try to start it with the belt off but if it starts, don't let it run too long because your water pump is not spinning either without the belt. Probably your AC compressor, Alternator or the belt tensioner pulley. There is also a dead pulley under the AC compressor.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:23 AM
88blackzcand95blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

i doubt belt has enough tension too, sounds internal to me do what chevy lover said ^

Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
jdt
jdt is on a distinguished road

the alt,can lock up and the starter can`t overpower it sometimes.remove the serpintine belt and see if the motor will then turn over.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 88blackzcand95blazer
i doubt belt has enough tension too, sounds internal to me do what chevy lover said ^
The belt can stop a motor from turning over, it happened in my pickup. Alternator seized. It'll be easy to find if you take off the belt and check the accessories by hand.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Man I hope the OP fixed his truck by now...

Quick Reply: What happened to my blazer?