1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Abs light above 15 mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abs light above 15 mph

'94 s10 blazer Tahoe Lt 4.3 w 4x4, ABS light comes on above 15 mph goes out under 15 mph ABS still functions normally just an annoying light I found this

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
Had some problems with my 94. After reading the book out of shear frustration it turned out to be one of the brake switches although not the one I thought it would be. You might check them. It's easy and sure doesn't cost much. I know a bad one will turn on the brake light. Mine was turning on the ABS light at 15 mph and would go off when I slowed to below 15 mph. These KH units do funny things.
on page 10 of THIS thread.

I'm hoping Gimpy Blazer sees this and can clarify since he says it is not the switch he thought it would be.

Wondering if this is the one the actual brake pedal releases when pushed to activate the brake lights since I had broken mine during my cancer removal, repaint/ 3" body lift process a year ago and just tossed in an old one I had lying around and the ABS light issue has been present ever since.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

If you have cruise control you have two switches on your brake pedal under your dash. Take a look. You have to pop off a little interior trim to get a good look. I know there was a bad switch in mine and I replaced it. It was actually the cruise control release switch (the one with the vacuum line attached). I'm doing a little research on where I found the solution. I've slept since then and my old feeble brain can't remember which book it was in. I'll edit this post if I find it tonight.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:24 AM

thanks I know exactly where it is, that is the one I broke I remember the vac line (had to fight to get the busted plastic out of it)

Old 05-08-2010, 12:42 AM

You might be getting a code 81 on your ABS light. If you don't know how to read it, it's like the Service Engine Soon light except instead of jumping A to B, you jump A to H on the ALDL. This will give you any codes. This one is considered a "soft fault" and will not show up until 15 mph when it turns on the light. Your switch could be OK and something else in Circuit #420 (that's the factory number for the circuit). What the light really means is the BPMV is not seeing the brake switch signal.
After a little more reading your condition is probably caused by an open brake switch circuit (bad switch). Happy to help. Drove me nuts and I was sweating having to buy a new ABS unit. Switch was like $15.00 and adjusts itself.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM

I'll gut the ABS system before I buy a new unit the truck is soon to be dedicated trail/mud toy anyways (got my axles just waiting for enough spare cash to get the sky manufacturing hanger kit and steering parts, 35" tires/rims) and a new daily driver lol. Seriously considering chopping it off behind drivers door and welding the ext cab from a 91 s10 ext cab p/u I been gutting parts off of then possibly welding the bed floor in where the backseat/cargo area are now (SFA first tho)

Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 AM

So did the switch fix it? Could be the other one too. Mine was obvious as to which one it was.
You can actually get the module for the ABS fixed for a pretty reasonable price at a company called ModuleMasters if it really ever screws up.
I assure you your problem is a bad brake light switch. It's the only thing listed in the book that will cause the 15 mph problem.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Talking

Haven't had time yet, the ideas are flying through my head so much about what I have planned for this thing I can't stop and do any work lol.

Got some more ideas and some more parts yesterday took your 2nd gen center console idea and expanded on it, got an 02 dash, console and door panels from local boneyard for $50 I know I can make the console and dash fit and work door panels I'm not so sure about but I'm gonna give it a shot will see about test fitting them after modifying on a spare door I got then have to get dash in first to make sure everything lines up and doors close properly, guess it's about time to find and resurrect my old build thread

Probably buying my new dd tomorrow. My in-laws spend their winters in florida they borrowed a truck from a friend to bring some stuff back up here and turns out he is selling the truck for $500 so his wife cant take it in the divorce they are currently going through (93 s10 blazer 4x4 tahoe never seen snow guy bought it brand new and currently sitting on 50k original miles) being on my 3rd first gen truck atm why not make it 4? That deal is just TOO good to pass up!

Last edited by Outsydr; 05-09-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 AM

Now I'd be interested in how the dash turns out. Just a little hint on the comso;e install. You're gonna have to trim the heater outlets at the floor on top of the trans hump. I just whacked mine off flush with the duct. Also if you got a;; the brackets with your new one, they will have to be modified (cut and beaten into shape) or should we use the term "reworked". Gotta check out this dash though. I don't know if your original VSS will work with the new speedometer. Really can't say it wouldn't though.
So link me up to your new thread. I've gotta see what this looks loke.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 PM

Have you trial fitted the console in there yet? Looks like it brlomgs there. If you have to paint it I've got some tips to make it look factory. Mine matches great.