1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1991 S10 Blazer 4.3L speedo not working and stalls when warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011 | 08:07 PM
|
Beginning Member
mattkc is on a distinguished road

yeah its a tbi and i bought and installed a new iac valve as well as a map sensor bc i found out they hadn't been changed/clean/or even checked in that matter for 15+ years. just cleaned the egr and it was quite nasty too i hope that helps. the gasket i'm refering to is show here in the picture attached...
Hey all just an update. I cleaned the egr valve and also checked for vacuum leaks (via chris) none seem to be apparent as the idle didn't change when i sprayed the hoses. However, the car now is stalling out in reverse. any ideas? i've read a faulty solenoid could be the culprit. Almost there...

Attached Thumbnails 1991 S10 Blazer 4.3L speedo not working and stalls when warm-throbod.jpg  

Last edited by mattkc; 04-29-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2011 | 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

that gasket wouldnt cause a rough idle. I dont even have one on mine lol it just keeps dirt from getting in between the air filter housing etc.

I remember when my old s10 pickup starting stalling in reverse to find out the fuel pump was the issue. Have you done a fuel pressure test yet? Have one done,you should be running around 10-13 psi for a good running blazer. Also look at your injectors while they are running. Is it spraying a good cone shape or is it kinda choppy/"uncone" like?

also,change your fuel filter.(theres also tiny filters on each injector inside) they can cause all kinds of weird things.

Old 04-30-2011 | 04:15 AM
|
Beginning Member

hahaha thanks just being ultra careful. ill check the fuel line...thanks for all the help, ill make sure to pass the info onto someone else!

Old 04-30-2011 | 03:17 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

No problem,ive learned alot of people helping,just returning the favor. Keep us posted

Old 05-02-2011 | 12:21 PM
|
Beginning Member

hey chris where do i find the fuel injectors and what is the easiest way to test them? do you recommend that i buy a reapir manual and code scanner? i've had problems with my check engine lite coming on and then going off and then coming on again, if i reset the computer by unhooking the battery and holding down the horn will this somewhat help with diagnosing the problem. I'm planning on removing and cleaning the fuel filter today. let you know how it goes. thanks...

Old 05-02-2011 | 01:16 PM
BF Veteran

Look at the pic you posted when we were talking about the gasket. you see where the wires run on top? those plug into 2 big injectors. You have to remove all the tiny screws to get them out,you will see the tiny filters on the bottoms when you get em out. Also please dont "clean" the filter. they are only like 9 bucks, replace it. makes a difference.

Old 05-03-2011 | 07:15 PM
|
Beginning Member

hey everyone, i think i found the culprit!!! so in the process of trying to remove my fuel injectors for cleaning i decided to check out the fuel pressure regulator as i had not done so yet. And needless to say i think i found my problem. the pressure regulator seems to be stuck open and bent not allowing it to close or open properly. im replacing later today and was wondering what size key i would need to remove my fuel injectors as the ones i own are not the correct size. also is there another way to clean the injectors well without having to hook them up to a 12v power source, because im definitely not tech saavy enough to build some of the simple ones seen online, and i don't wanna spend an *** load of money buying new ones or some crazy machine. thanks for all the help and support especially chris015. i'll check back to update...

Old 05-03-2011 | 10:45 PM
BF Veteran

Bent? My imagination is saying wtf? haha You saying the diaphragm is messed up or the spring? The only idea i have to power the injectors is,i remember someone saying you can test the injectors with a 9 volt battery. maybe you can figure something out with that,but if i was you id just replace the regulator etc if its messed up. can you snap a picture of it?

oh yea,and the size of the key,im not sure of as i have one of them things that has all the keys on a chain. i dont know off hand what size it is.

Old 05-03-2011 | 11:22 PM
|
Beginning Member

cool thanks, i was at the auto part store to see if i could find a replacement but all they had were repair kits, and saw all the allen wrench rings and realized i just needed to use one of those. im posting picture of the piece cuz its definitely the cap-like piece inside the cylinder and not the spring or the diaphragm. thanks for all the help now i just have to order one online or hope not to spend a jillion dollars at the effing dealership.
so the first pic shows the whole fuel pressure regulator and as you can see the plunger inside is kinda bent and squirelly. the second one shows how its stuck in an open position from the side. and the last one is a close up again.
once again thanks for the help.

Attached Thumbnails 1991 S10 Blazer 4.3L speedo not working and stalls when warm-img_0646.jpg   1991 S10 Blazer 4.3L speedo not working and stalls when warm-img_0647.jpg   1991 S10 Blazer 4.3L speedo not working and stalls when warm-untitled.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011 | 11:49 PM
BF Veteran

that stuff inside the little hole is what they fill in the screw that adjusts the fuel pressure. keeps tinkers like me from messing with the pressure. While you have the regulator apart,put a quarter in it and reinstall it. it'll bump pressure up a little. then see if it runs better.

edit : i just realized i said something about keeping people from adjusting it,then im telling you to put a quarter in it...god i love my little ways. haha

Quick Reply: 1991 S10 Blazer 4.3L speedo not working and stalls when warm