1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1992 4WD S10 Blazer ABS Light On and No Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tvojtko
....but I believe there are 4 ABS speed sensors on the 4x4...one on each wheel.
Only 3 on the Blazers. One on each front wheel, and one on the rear output of the transmission or transfer case.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Beginning Member
Tvojtko is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Diaita
The ABS system uses the VSS as the speed reference for the rear axle, as does the speedometer.

The VSS is located on the rear output housing of the transfer case, on the drivers side. It has a 2-wire connector to it.
Diaita - Does this look like the correct VSS that I need - ACDelco 213 194 Vehicle Speed Sensor | eBay?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Diaita - Does this look like the correct VSS that I need - ACDelco 213 194 Vehicle Speed Sensor | eBay?
That one is for a 2wd i think. the 4wd one looks like this:

More Information for DORMAN 917616

Old 02-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks...Autozone shows that screw-in type, as well.

Was going to try to get a jump on things and order it so I can work on it this weekend, but I may just pull it first to be sure.

I've read that a good cleaning may resolve the issues.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Beginning Member

I pulled the only sensor that I can find and it looks similar to the one linked except that it does not have the black piece on the end with the threads....it just has an exposed ball (magnet, I assume).

Autozone has photo's of all angles of the sensor and the one I pulled looks nothing like this - Duralast/Vehicle Speed Sensor (SU1145) | 1992 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4WD 6 Cylinders Z 4.3L TBI | AutoZone.com_. Like I said, exposed ball on the threaded side and on the connector end are hollow tubes, not posts, so I'm assuming it's the wrong one.

Is there a point of reference where I should look? The one I see is if backing under the vehicle from the front, it is on the TC facing the front passenger side of the vehicle.

Last edited by Tvojtko; 03-03-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:36 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
first off,the digital dashes are junk. they always start loosing gauges etc then it'll all go out. Ive had em. you can do a analog cluster conversion if you are good at reading a wire diagram.

check the "gau/ign" fuse. its a 20 amp. see if its blown.
whoa whoa whoa there Chris... Lets back that truck up a bit... They do suck, if you dont know how to fix them on your own, once you fix them.... all is good my brother, and they will outlive the truck.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Beginning Member

Update: I found the corerect sensor, but I can't get it off. Sprayed it with penetrating oil and it still won't budge. I removed the skid plate to try to get a better angle at it, but it still won't move.

Is there a trick to getting this thing out?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Beginning Member

Another update: A few whacks with a hammer broke the seal enough that I could get it out.

I replaced with a new sensor and it didn't resolve the problem...I still have no speedo and the ABS light is still on.

Any more suggestions of what to check next?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member

Another update: A few whacks with a hammer broke the seal enough that I could get it out.

I replaced with a new sensor and it didn't resolve the problem...I still have no speedo and the ABS light is still on.

Any more suggestions of what to check next?
Anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

FYI, I installed the new sensor and started the vehicke a few times and there was still no speedo, so I pulled the new sensor and put the old one back in, intending on returning the new sensor.

Then I got to thinking, does this require a driving cycle until it starts to send the new info to the computer, or should the speedso show up and ABS light turn off right away?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Tvojtko; 03-13-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

FYI, I installed the new sensor and started the vehicke a few times and there was still no speedo, so I pulled the new sensor and put the old one back in, intending on returning the new sensor.

Then I got to thinking, does this require a driving cycle until it starts to send the new info to the computer, or should the speedso show up and ABS light turn off right away?

Thanks!!
Anyone?

Quick Reply: 1992 4WD S10 Blazer ABS Light On and No Speedometer