1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1992 Blazer has some issues, Plz Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Kojak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1992 Blazer has some issues, Plz Help

Hello everyone, just bought a 1992 blazer 4x4 4dr. 4.3L and would like some assistance w/ some issues it has. I also bought the Haynes manual to assist me but some things aren't mentioned there.

Q1. When I turn on the headlights, the "key-in-ignition-chime" comes on and the only way to silence it is to dim all the dash lights, any ideas? (very annoying)

Q2. I get about 12v to the power-window motor harness, but motor doesnt run. Is it time for a new motor? Drivers side has been replaced, and the rest of windows work.

Q3. When I push on the brake pedal it has to be pushed all the way to the stop and to hold the car in place. While braking it gradually slows the car down as if the booster wasn't working, I checked the vaccum and its good. Any ideas?

Q4. The car was hit at the spare tire and it slightly dented the tailgate at the latch, now the tailgate will not work (stuck closed) and the liftgate(glass window)won't open either. Theliftgate button on the dash will not open it either. Any Ideas of what I can to get them to open or at least the window?

Q5. It has a digital dash and the speedometer and annunciator lights are INOP, I read the post on the "cereal box solution" but didnt quite understand on where exactly to place the cardboard. When I took the dash apart, the instrument panel has a metal backing held by screws so thats were I get confused. On the other hand I did check for voltage at the female end, but w/o a schematic couldn't tell which ones are which. Again any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Kojak

Old 01-20-2008, 08:22 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1992 Blazer has some issues, Plz Help

1- my 92 did the same thing, It fixed itself I believe.

2- you need a new motor, the drivers window gets used alot more then the other motors do.

3- check your entire brake system, could be at the wheels or at the proportioning valve or at the master/booster

4-replace the gate.

same problems I had with my 92 when I first got it.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:30 PM

Thanks a lot, I will get on it and post back, with any luck it will all be posistive!

1. Think imma look for that chime and try to disconnect it.
2. That's what I thought, I forgot to mention that it's the passenger side thats INOP.
3. I think I will take it in for an inspection, saw some coupons in the paper for that. Maybe they'll tell me whats wrong and I'll do the work myself.
4. Just another follow up question, How do remove the gate if it's locked in the closed position?

Kojak

Old 01-20-2008, 02:32 PM
ATP
ATP is an unknown quantity at this point

4. Pop the lock cylinder out ig it doesnt work. Then use a screw driver and feel around in the hole until you find the release, that's what I had to do on mine. Same exact problem you have. m going to replace my gate though anyways.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 PM

OK update time!

Q1. I found the door chime box and pulled it out (located above 2 relays in the dash almost above the "hood release" area), but never found out why the the chime would stay on with the parking lights or headlights on!

Q2. Haven't got to the passenger window yet! But I read that there's a overvoltage switch or something like that in the motor that will sometimes stay in the open position preventing the motor from operating, so that will be coming soon.

Q3. I found a wiring harness that was loose, so I plugged it back, and when I tried the brakes again they felt tighter, but haven't road-tested yet!

Q4. This is the best one yet, and the funniest, so I was messing around with the glass liftgate and couln't get anything to work, so I thought if it was hit from the back (which only dented the tailgate slightly at the lock-cylinder), why not push it back out, so I gave it a couple of kicks, tried the button again and like magic it opened! So I replaced the lift supports and works nicely. Later on my mom came outside to see what I was doing, and she turned he handle on the tailgate and the damned thing opened! WOW! So I took the trim of and look inside and the arm from the cylinder was not engaging the mechanism for the locks. Guess it was from the accident, so I did a lil' pulling and pushing and figured out how it was supposed to work, lined everything and BAM! tailgate and liftgate are in working order. Guess it just needed a lil' TLC!

Q5. As for the Digital Dash, thats going to be tough. So for now I'm planning on installing aftermarket analogs to get true readings from the engine.

Hope this will help someone

Kojak

Old 01-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Beginning Member
x33camaro is an unknown quantity at this point

http://home.comcast.net/~digital_dash_solutions/

Cheaper to replace the dash with a rebuilt one. He gives warranties and mine works great!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the link!

Kojak

Old 02-03-2008, 03:37 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Hope all the other items aren't a pain to repair and you get it all nice and working again!!