1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1993 S-10 Blazer questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Recon is on a distinguished road
Default 1993 S-10 Blazer questions!

Ok, first off I need to change out my front driver side Hub Assembly, I've read that the axle nut is a 36mm but then I also read that it was a 35mm, I need to go tonight to get the socket and I would like to know if anyone knows for sure what size it is, thanks in advance.

Alright, now my other issue, now that its been getting cold at night, in the mornings I've been letting my blazer warm up and when I get in it after about 10 minuets of warm up time, when I first pull out it makes this weird vibration in the transmission and its really delayed when shifting from 1st to second gear, once it finally shifts, it works normally for the rest of the day until it cools down at night, the transmission shifts so good during every day driving that I find it hard to believe that it needs a rebuilding or a replacement. I'm not sure if its temperature related or if it has something to do with letting it idle in park for so long like its building up pressure or something. I checked the fluid and its dead on the mark. any help is appreciated.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Beginning Member
Kwillia is on a distinguished road

I would get a few sockets just to be sure or a nice cheap set and your trans only acting up in reverse?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:58 PM

no, I don't need reverse in the mornings because I have to parallel park on the street, its when I first put it in Drive. it does it during the first shift between 1st and second, it seems to be vibrating when I first pull out in 1st gear before it even begins to shift, I don't know I'm thinking it may be a bad sensor or something. It really sound scarry though, but like I said its only does it when I first pull out in the mornings and it only does it when it gets around 40 degrees outside any warmer then I don't even notice, and after it does it, it only does it that one time then it runs great for the rest of the day.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Beginning Member
Kwillia is on a distinguished road

Hmm my 1st blazer I had there was a sensor on the trans I think and it caused mine to miss second completly and go straight from first to thrid and vibrate a lil untill it pick up the speed I took it in to a shop and I guess the read a computer code changed it in about a day and it was fixed I wanna say it is a speed sensor..? I'm not sure tho
Hope you get yourproblem fixed soon!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Starting Member
Magmotor is on a distinguished road

I just replaced both hub & axel bearings, upper & lower ball joints and shocks on my '93. You'll need the 36mm for the axel, (you can rent that from Auto Zone for $20, full refund) and you'll need an 18mm for the hub bolts. Clean the sensors off real good......don't have a clue about the trans.....

Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member
bouts5991 is on a distinguished road

what it sounds like to me is. obviously the motor is warming up from the idle, so its running smooth, but the only way your gonna warm up the tranny fluid is by driving.
the atf cooler lines running to your rad wouldnt be pumping any fluid threw the rad, and if they are, its not warm fluid. my best suggestion is.
go buy a block heater, just a simple one.
we use them on our heavy diesel trucks at school all the time, keeps the oil warm so when we got to start the trucks they dont have such a hard start, and smoke like crazy.
you should be able to get one with magnits, just toss it up over night, or even when you go out to warm up your truck just plug it in for the 10-15 mins,
and make sure you unplug it befor you leave.
you say you parrallel park? should be able to get ones with batterys or recharge able ones aswell, ive never really looked into buying them but it does sound like its just the fact the tranny is warmed up enough, maybe do a fluid flush and change the filter too

Old 11-26-2010, 03:55 PM

I would like to actually fix the problem. not spend money on a tranny heater...

Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member
bouts5991 is on a distinguished road

incase you dont read. that is your problem. notice how you said the truck is fine after you drive it for a little. tranny fliud is heated up, nd it moving around smoother.
if you think you know everything dont bother asking questions

Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Recon, when was the last time the transmission was serviced? If you always drive short distances, the transmission fluid may have a high moisture content which can cause some weird things to happen when it gets really cold outside.

It may just be time for a pan drop & filter change which will replace over half the fluid.

And your front axle nut requires a 36mm socket as stated above.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:45 PM

I dropped the pan over the weekend and replaced the filter, the fluid looked pretty brown and nasty, definitely needed a flush, the magnet had some metal sludge built up on it as well. It seems to shift a lot smoother and run quieter overall, but it still chokes when shifting from 1 - 2 the first shift of the day.. when it warmed up for a couple days last week it stopped doing it until it cooled down again, now its back to the same thing as before. Could it possibly be the TPS? I'm trying to figure out what the temp would effect. Any more ideas? all help is appreciated!

I just hope my tranny isn't on its way out!

Quick Reply: 1993 S-10 Blazer questions!