1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

87 blazer problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Starting Member
trevorcreek is on a distinguished road
Default 87 blazer problems

i recently purchased a 87 k5, it ran fine, but suddenly it wouldnt crank, altenator was replaced, still has the problem, fuel pump wasnt running, so i strait wired it, still wouldnt crank, it is getting spark, and fuel, willnot crank, the only way i can get it to crank is to pour gas down the throttle body and then it runs but battery willnot charge, and its a brand new altenator, i can unplug the battery and it cuts right off, does anyone have any idea whats going on???, this is confusing me

Old 01-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by trevorcreek
i recently purchased a 87 k5, it ran fine, but suddenly it wouldnt crank, altenator was replaced, still has the problem, fuel pump wasnt running, so i strait wired it, still wouldnt crank, it is getting spark, and fuel, willnot crank, the only way i can get it to crank is to pour gas down the throttle body and then it runs but battery willnot charge, and its a brand new altenator, i can unplug the battery and it cuts right off, does anyone have any idea whats going on???, this is confusing me
It'd probably help if you put this in K5 tech, but...

When you say crank, you mean it won't fire and turn over, right? When you say you straight wired the fuel pump, what do you mean? Did you wire it directly to the battery? Also, have you run a fuel pressure test? Is it TBI or carb'd? If your fuel pressure test comes up low, you may be needing a new pump anyway. I'm not sure if the K5 has a fuel press regulator, but if it leaks down too fast, you may be needing a replacement FPR. As for it not charging the battery, I'm lost. How do you know it's not charging? Are you testing it with an ammeter? Or are you going by the gauge on the dash?

Need more info!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Starting Member
ayspinc is on a distinguished road

to the best of my understanding if u direct wire the fuel pump (and any other accy with out a relay) it will burn out.