1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

88 4.3 blazer not firing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009 | 03:47 PM
|
Beginning Member
Tooth_pic is on a distinguished road
Default 88 4.3 blazer not firing

Ok so im like one day old on this site.. I found a few threads that helped me rule out some stuff, but now im in an area ware i need help.
So i have an 88 4.3L blazer. It was given to me for free from a good friend of mine like 5 months ago. I changed the oil and drove it from Seattle Wa. to the east coast and back. 8000 and somthing miles, ran like a top. I got home and after about 2 weeks, i was driving down the road, started sputtering, backfired a few times(no throttle response) and died. got it to my house and so far i have verified that it has fuel making it to the throttle body, and has spark, but will not fire at all. i think its the injectors but idk.. any help would be great. Im not a complete novice but this will be a bit of a project for me

thanks a bunch,
Elijah

Old 10-28-2009 | 05:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Test the fuel pressure. It needs to be 8-10psi for the injectors to properly feed the engine.

Does it run with starter fluid?

Old 10-30-2009 | 01:57 AM
|
Beginning Member

ok so i had a friend of mine com over today. we worked on it in the rain for a few hours and found that the distributor was corroded to ****.. sanded on it a bunch and got it to fire a few times. will have the rest of the parts in the morning and then see what happens

Old 11-05-2009 | 06:07 PM
|
Beginning Member

ok ended up having to buy a whole new distributor.. having a hell of a time trying to get it timed. cant even get it to fire once. any help would be greatly appriciated

Old 11-05-2009 | 06:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't much to getting it timed. Mark the position of the #1 plug wire terminal on the base of the distributor. Rotate the engine over to TDC #1 on the compression stroke (both valves closed). Drop the distributor in so that the rotor points at the mark on the base of the distributor. You may have to reposition the oil pump drive so that it fits properly into the end of the distributor, but other than that...

Old 11-06-2009 | 02:58 PM
|
Beginning Member

so i pretty much have to pull the valve cover then? any way to do it w/ out?
i think i my have had it at tdc on exhaust stroke, which is very possible. thanks a bunch for the help.

Old 11-06-2009 | 05:01 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Also unplug the wire underneath the pass side carpet when you set the timing.

Old 11-06-2009 | 05:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Also unplug the wire underneath the pass side carpet when you set the timing.
Yes, most definitely. Gotta get the distributor in properly first, but you cannot skip disconnecting the timing wire prior to setting the timing with a timing light.

Old 11-12-2009 | 10:53 PM
|
Beginning Member

ok so i took my valve cover off, brought it to tdc on the compression stroke, and dropped the distributor it. after aligning the oil pump rod the rotor pointed right at my number one. i put everything back together and, nothing. with a timing light on it im hitting right ware i should be but its not firing. I have the wire unplugged and just put a new battery in, and nothing. also i have 2 marks on.. about 90 degrees apart from each other.. i have been using the one that comes first. is this wrong?

Old 11-13-2009 | 12:45 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

So it just cranks and doesn't even try to light? I would try putting a little gas or starting fluid in the TB and try it. You said it does have spark? Is that at the plugs? Make sure that the distributor plugs are all good, they might be corroded as well.

Quick Reply: 88 4.3 blazer not firing