1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

88 S10, No spark from coil

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Beginning Member
singlewc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
That's the part. This is not the pickup coil. The book you have gives a way to test that and the coil (at least mine does). There's no way you can reliably test the module that I know of. They have a machine that tests it. I wouldn't just replace it because you don't know if that's your problem or not and then you put it all together and it's something else. I call that "shotgun troubleshooting". Change enough parts and you're bound to fix the problem. Just hope you don't go broke before it's fixed. You need to know if it's bad or not. That was just my first response to your problem because most of the time that's it. If you want to replace it, replace it. Just have it tested too.
You patience is appreciated :-)

So there is a pickup coil, and an ignition module. The ignition module, or control module is an easy in and out, but the distributor has to come out to replace the pickup coil. I think I get it now,.... just got a little confused by the terminology. <g> I can test the pickup coil with a meter, probably, and to replace it, I have to pull the distributor, and its a special order part so I hope that ain't it.

I will pull the ignition module, which seems easy enough, and see if an autoparts store can test it for me. If not, its not terribly expensive.

Okay, I got it now, or so I think. Can't say thank you enough for your patience and great help. I will hope for it to be the ignition module, so I can leave the distributor alone, and will let you know what I end up with, besides frostbite!

John

Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Cool. Oops, bad terminology. Yeah, let us know. You never know, I may have a problem with my 84 Jimmy one of these days and you could be saving me a lot of hassle.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Beginning Member

Cool. Oops, bad terminology. Yeah, let us know. You never know, I may have a problem with my 84 Jimmy one of these days and you could be saving me a lot of hassle.
Had to go to three Autozone stores to find one whose test equipment was functional. Finally found one that was working and the tested the ignition control module three different times and it failed every time. Good sign, far as I am concerned. A new one was $26. Didn't have enough daylight to put it all back together. Hoping for better days by the end of the week.

Damn truck is in the street and I cannot get it into the garage due to the incline, so its working out in the weather, and the street. Slow going, but I think with your help, I found the problem. I will certainly let you know how it turns out.

John

Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Yes, please do.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member

Yes, please do.
Yup. I replaced the Ignition Control Module and it fired right up. Thank for pointing out that it existed :-) I didn't realize it was there.

I took the old one to three Autozone stores before I could find one that had all the right connectors to hook it up to the machine, but at the third one, they were organized, and checked it three times to fail every time.

Only cost $26, so not a bad deal at all.

The manual shows the pins to check for the pickup coil, and I did check them out as okay, just to be sure before replacing the module.

Thanks again for the help and the advice. Glad to not have to go out in the cold and snow and wrestle with it anymore. There is a certain feeling of self satisfaction that always comes from winning, which almost makes it worth the while..... Almost..... <g>

Much obliged for your time.

John