1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

89 S10 Blazer Power Door Locks Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 03:15 PM
Beginning Member
bhorn is on a distinguished road
Question 89 S10 Blazer Power Door Locks Issue

Hey all, there are a ton of threads on this subject but I wanted to post this as I didn't find a solution yet and it would be good to have on the forum.

Currently my passenger door lock works perfectly and drivers does not. Up until yesterday, neither of them worked, but I found I wasn't getting 12V to the orange/black wire on the drivers side door switch and took the wiring harness completely out of the driver door to find that the orange/black and one of the ground wires was broken right near the door jam. I patched those up, put the harness back in and then BOTH SWITCHES WORKED FINE. I thought I was done, so I started putting the door panel back together, took the driver door switch out to install it in the door handle housing, plugged it back in, and all of the sudden the driver side doesn't work after it had just worked seconds before that. I have multiple switches laying around (i've picked up a few from the junkyard), and i tried all of them and even the passenger door switch in the driver side to no avail. The passenger switch works great but drivers side has no response. I checked for continuity in each of the 5 wires coming from that switch and was able to see they are all complete. It's definitely not the switch right, because I put the working passenger side switch on the driver side and had no luck.

What confuses me is that I have seen people say this car doesn't have a door lock relay and some people say it does. I believe it does, there is a replacement relay I find if I search Autozone's website, and it appears to be just like the one in the bottom of the dash area, except for the wiring connector...in the replacement Autozone part it appears to have a 1 row wiring connector with 6 terminals, and on the back of what i believe to be my door lock relay it appears to be a 2 row connector with different colored wires than anything in the door lock switches or motors. I see pink, yellow, lime green and white wires coming from it and that doesn't match the wiring diagram at all.

Anybody have any input? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for the door lock relay? This is frustrating because I got it working perfectly fine and then when I tried again minutes later after just unplugging the switch to put it in its place in the door handle, it was no longer working (but the passenger side now was working which it wasn't before). Thanks for reading

Old 07-19-2020, 09:56 PM
Beginning Member

Here's some references, I hope someone can chime in.

Autozone replacement power door lock relay showing a straight 6 pin connection

Photo of what I believe to be the back of my power door lock relay, looks like there are 6 wires, but they are not the right color for the power door relay based on the wiring diagram and they are not straight in a line
Name:  LhtVK7D.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  796.2 KB

This is where it gets confusing. In this thread, El_Beautor states that 89 s10 blazers do not have a power door lock relay.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-ge...ocation-23599/

So maybe the picture i posted is some other kind of relay and my driver side door is just on crack?

Old 07-19-2020, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member

Here's one thing I just noticed.
This is a 140 page diagram for 89 Chevy Trucks: http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...ght_Trucks.pdf
This is page 70 - Power Door Locks - 2 Door
Name:  pjlJUmf.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  314.1 KB

In this diagram, top left shows the Door Lock Relay with 2 connectors attached to it.
If you look back at my last post, underneath the connector I circled you will see 2 more smaller connectors, a 3 wire and a 2 wire, which is what the diagram says is there, but the wire colors are different.
My truck has an Org/Blk, Green, and Black wire for the 3 wire connector, and orange and brown for the 2 wire
The diagram shows Org/Blk, Tan, and Gray wires for the 3 wire connector, and blk/wht and lt blue for the 2 wire
So now I'm even more lost lol!

Also keep in mind, as I said in the first post, after replacing the two broken wires from the first post, the door lock was fully functional for a bit until I put the switch in its place in the door handle bezel and reconnected it.

Any input would be appreciated, sorry for the triple post but I wanted to include all the info I have!

Old 07-25-2020, 03:40 PM
Beginning Member

Earlier this week I found a loose connector with a tan and brown wire, I'm sure this must be the issue. I'm kind of baffled though as to how it became loose since the door locks were working recently, but whatever. I'm curious if anyone knows where it goes. It can't be far from where it is is sitting currently. I found in THIS THREAD that the relay is located in this location behind the headlight assembly. I do not see a relay behind, but when I removed the headlight assembly is when I found the loose connector sitting there. There is a black box just underneath the connector in the pic, but it is very hard to get to or see the connections and from what I can tell there was already a connector plugged into it with no additional connectors available on it.

Name:  2Vk8M2b.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  831.4 KB

Anybody?

Old 07-26-2020, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, I solved it, and I feel quite dumb lol.

The connector in the previous post is the factory dash speaker wire that I unplugged and left there when I ran new wires from the amps. It was a while ago and I had forgotten. Once I found this diagram
Name:  x76LNMH.png
Views: 295
Size:  53.2 KB
which is more specific to our cars and shows no relay, I decided to check the wires between the switches and they matched up to this diagram. That's when I realized that connector couldn't be for the door locks and remembered it was a speaker wire.

I checked continuities between all the wires and everything looked good. The only thing that made any sense at this point is that the switch is bad. So I decide to try again switching the passenger switch to the driver switch, but this time also put the driver switch on the passenger side, and it worked. My driver side switch was bad. I had read somewhere on these forums that the locks would work with the drivers side plugged in but not the passenger side, and not vice versa, however if you look at the diagram in this post, you will see that only one of the switches actually grounds the circuit, and one of them sends signal to the door lock motors. This means they both must be plugged in, and when I tried using the functioning passenger switch on the driver side before, I didn't have any switch plugged in at the passenger side.

I was the only contributor to this thread, but I hope I included some detailed information that may help someone out in the future, and if anything, make sure to check that you have a good switch!!

Now onto finding the impossible to find door switches

Old 07-27-2020, 03:49 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Nice writeup of the troubleshooting and thanks for coming forth also with the solution to the problem.