1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

91 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Beginning Member
cmh_20 is on a distinguished road
Default 91 4.3

I know this should probably go in the tech section but no 1 has responded to that since august so here goes ive recently purchased a 1991 chevy 4.3 out of a 91 s10 to put into my 1984 s-10 blazer 4x4 the 91 is set up for tbi and my blazer is mechanical fuel pump and carb i want the 4.3 to be a carb because i have a really nice holly 4bbl i would like to use my question is can i bolt a mechanical fuel pump directly to the 4.3 liter?is there a plate i remove and then can bolt it in?someone else said they sell eltric feul pumps that i could hook to the tank then run a line directly to the carb?

Old 10-17-2009, 03:15 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cmh_20
I know this should probably go in the tech section...
And yet you put in 'The Lounge' section anyway.
Don't sweat it, I moved it for you.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Beginning Member

my bad this one was 4 gmtf so i wanted it in the lounge over there,here the tech section gets more attention i just copied and pasted it here

Old 10-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I do not believe that the newer blocks have provisions for the fuel pump, but it would be easy enough to check for. The next thing that there would have to be would be the fuel pump drive lobe on the cam. I doubt that would be there either.

You can definitely get a low pressure electric fuel pump to feed the carb.

There are 4 barrel intake manifolds available for the early 4.3L as well. Hopefully that carb you had eyes on using isn't too large for the motor...

Old 10-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Beginning Member

ill probably just start looking into the electric fuel pump then dont want to have to specially build one and as the carb i have a holley 4 bbl street avenger 670 cfm

do you have an idea of how much an electric fuel pump is and does it go in the tank?

Old 10-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Search around my friend... SummitRacing.com, Jegs.com, etc all have electric fuel pumps. In tank, in line, whatever you want.

That 670cfm is likely going to be way too much carb for a 4.3L. Heck, I wasn't using all of the 650dp that I had on the sb350 in my Chevelle and that was close to 400hp when dyno'd.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Beginning Member

im going to try tp get a higher flow fuel pump to keep up with it kind of have my mind set on that carb

Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not about having enough fuel flow for the carb, it's about how much air the carb puts into the engine. I can almost promise you that a carb that big on a stock 4.3L will bog out on you. The Holley on my 1970 RoadRunner was only about 650cfm. You would probably want a carb in the 400-450cfm range.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Beginning Member

the problem is i dont have alot of money at the moment and i bought that carb brand new for like 400 dollars for my 88 dodge ramcharger it had a 360 and the carb seemed fine now i know thats a v8 to v6,i guess ill just have to try and if it dont work maybe i can sell that 1 and buy a smaller one if i do all that ill probably get the truck avenger

my truck is a 4 speed manuel now i know that the 2.8's r 60 degree engine while the 4.3 is a 90 but have heard my tranny would work if i changed the bell housing is this true.Any other advice from anyone on problems i might run into doing the swap?

Last edited by rriddle3; 10-18-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 10-20-2009, 09:09 PM
BlazeringSaddles is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't go over a 500cfm on a street motor v-6. If you're racing it, then 600cfm's might be okay, but you'll be gunning the motor most of the time @ lower rev's to keep it from flooding out and stalling. You MIGHT be able to go w./ smaller jets and thusly lower the gas level, but then there is still the "air" factor as the gent just mentioned. Try bartering on Craigslist, and other rag's. and mag's. in your area for a smaller carb. That way you won't be out any bucks maybe?

I was told by a Chebbie guy that ANY/ALL chevy motors from the 250 L-6's, all the way up to the BB rat motors would ALL bolt up to the same bellhousings, but better get some expert advice at a dealer. Or go to the chevy/GMC truck web-site. They should know too!