1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

'91 S-15 Jimmy Crank But No-Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 02:03 PM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough
Default '91 S-15 Jimmy Crank But No-Start

I looked around and didn't find anything that matched mine but I might have missed it. Anyhow, I've had an intermittent no-start for about a month but it always started after pulling off and removing some wires under the hood. Right now it's dead in the water. Everything has been replaced in the ignition system except for the distributor itself a few months ago. That includes the ignition module, cap, rotor, coil, wires and plugs. It is getting gas. I tested the coil and it appears to test good. I have an inline plug tester and when put inline on the coil to distributor wire, I get one spark and that's it. When put on a spark plug, I get nothing. I think I still have the old ignition driver module, which did have a problem but worked.

What might be causing this?

Old 11-01-2023, 01:04 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I looked around and didn't find anything that matched mine but I might have missed it. Anyhow, I've had an intermittent no-start for about a month but it always started after pulling off and removing some wires under the hood. Right now it's dead in the water. Everything has been replaced in the ignition system except for the distributor itself a few months ago. That includes the ignition module, cap, rotor, coil, wires and plugs. It is getting gas. I tested the coil and it appears to test good. I have an inline plug tester and when put inline on the coil to distributor wire, I get one spark and that's it. When put on a spark plug, I get nothing. I think I still have the old ignition driver module, which did have a problem but worked.

What might be causing this?
This might or might not be the issue, but it is worth trying because it is easy: try swapping the fuel pump relay for an identical one used for something else.

I had my fuel pump relay intermittently fail on me and this fixed it until I got new relays.

Old 11-01-2023, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208
This might or might not be the issue, but it is worth trying because it is easy: try swapping the fuel pump relay for an identical one used for something else.

I had my fuel pump relay intermittently fail on me and this fixed it until I got new relays.
Good tip but I can hear the fuel pump do its routine every time I turn the key on. The responses I'm getting are pointing me towards the distributor assembly. I still have the old IDM out there and I may try putting that back in for a trial run.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:33 PM

Mechanics pointed me towards a new distributor so I installed one and still no spark. Any other suggestions?

Old 11-07-2023, 05:39 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

No Spark: Bad Coil, Bad Distributor, Bad coil wire, Bad Ignition module. Do you have a spark tester or timing light? Start at the coil wire for spark. Do you have access to another distributor? You could have gotten a bad part. It is rare but it does happen. Check the wires from the coil to the distributor to make sure there is not an open or short.

Old 11-07-2023, 05:50 PM

I don't have a third distributor but I have all the other stuff. I put a plug tester inline from the coil to the distributor and got nothing. I ohmed the coil and it tests good.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:30 AM

I would meter out the wiring to the coil from plug to plug. Make sure you have continuity.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by mr.vls
I would meter out the wiring to the coil from plug to plug. Make sure you have continuity.
OK, but I don't quite understand what you mean. What I have done is pulled the wires that come from the ICM to the coil and ohmed them, they ohm good. I Ohmed the coil per youtube instructions and it ohmed good. I'll check the coil wire to the distributor, is that what you are referring to or something else? On the coil feed that comes out of the harness, what should come out of that?

Thanks for the help

Old 11-08-2023, 09:24 AM

And now a new development. The injectors are spraying fuel down into the throttle body at key on. What is going on here?

Old 11-08-2023, 11:33 AM

Maybe a bad computer?

Quick Reply: '91 S-15 Jimmy Crank But No-Start