1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

91 S10 4.3L 4x4 Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 PM
DKlos is on a distinguished road
Default 91 S10 4.3L 4x4 Starting issues

So I have a 91 Blazer S10 4.3L 4x4 that I picked up a few months. Beginning about two months ago the rig would not always kick over when turning the key. You turn the key and hear a click, but that is all. Turn it a couple more times and the rig will kick right over and runs great. At first it was uncommon for it to not start on the first try, now it's more uncommon for it to start on the first try. Also worth noting that when the engine is cold, such as after sitting for the night, it starts first try. It's when it's warm I have issues.

So today after dropping by a friends place the rig wouldn't start. It clicked as I turned the key the first two times, and then nothing. No more click when turning the key, and I tried it a few dozen times. I ended up popping the clutch to get her going again. I tried it about an hour later and she starts again with the key.

I have triple checked the battery connection to make sure it is tight. I suspect the starter is bad or going bad, but I wanted to check here before I start getting parts.

Thanks for the help

~Doug

Old 08-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Beginning Member
Hightec1 is on a distinguished road

Hi Doug,You can try this if you know where the starter is located.When it clicks again,put E-brake on,tranny in neutral and have someone hold key on after it clicks and also foot pressing on brake.All most forgot,press on clutch pedal.Better to be extra safe than sorry

Take something solid like a hammer,pipe. and tap starter a few times.If it starts to crank over then most likely it's the starter.I say most likely because i had a 2000 blazer last week doing the same thing.
Someone replaced starter and didn't tighten the nut all the way on the positive cable on the starter.Loose cable arced on thread and stud was messed up costing this person to do another starter.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Beginning Member
summit high is on a distinguished road

take off the terminal from both sides of the battery to ensure they are clean 1st !
then check the connection at the starter, it can get loose or corroded there as well !
then if you are still haveing issues , then take out the starter and take it down to your local auto parts store and have it checked ( most places do this for free)
as the former post stated it could be a problem right at the starter, (pretty common)
always do the battery first though , mine has been a ongoing battle to keep clean ,
paint works to help avoid corrosion , spray paint, fingernail polish !

Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 AM
just plain lucky is on a distinguished road

darn that sounds like mine use to start on first try now starts on second and currently don't start at all put new fuel pump and filter still nada heard to check out the fuel injector wiring harness I will do that and pull codes tomarrow hit me up at just plain lucky good luck with yours and I will keep in touch good night...

Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
DKlos is on a distinguished road

well I ended up replacing the starter. I will say that trying to get the old starter out was damn near impossible. Took the front passenger wheel off, unbolted the motor mount, jacked up the motor, removed the master clutch cylinder and still couldn't get it out. Ended up having to grind down a quarter inch of metal but finally got it out. From what I've read some people have had a semi-easy time doing this, but not I.