1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 4.3 vortec cpi flooding

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Beginning Member
tspivak is on a distinguished road
Default 93 4.3 vortec cpi flooding

I haver a 93 Blazer with 119000 kms on it, it has 54 to 60 psi on the fuel pressure, new cap,rotor,wires,plugs.
New battery, new starter.
It has good spark but just fires without starting.
I took the plenum off and I can see no leaks when under pressure.
There was no puddling in the plenum, although it had what I would think was normal bit of black oily stuff in corners.
When I pulled a poppit and cranked it it sprayed a significant amount of fuel from the poppit.
Same on the others, and I'm surprised there is no O ring to seal the poppits, should there be one?
The engine seems to be flooding as the plugs are wet.
Removed the egr and it is moving freely and it is quite clean.
Question is are the plugs wet from a flooding problem or an electrical.
What would the effect of a bad pressure regulator be?
Whats the next test?

Last edited by tspivak; 03-06-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are no seals on the poppets where they mount into the LIM.

I would have done a fuel pressure test prior to pulling off the plenum.

Are you sure you are getting good spark, timed properly?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Beginning Member

I did the pressure test before taking off the plenum, again after.
I see no leaking and the pressure holds.
Timing is good as far as I know because I am unable to start it!
Excellent spark, new plugs.
Will a faulty pressure regulator cause too much fuel through poppits?
The spray from the poppit is a spray not a squirt, which seems good, but it's a heavy spray.
However since the proper electrical is not hooked up, it's hard to know if the spray is unregulated as a result.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What was the result of your fuel pressure test?? How can you state that you ran a fuel pressure test and in the same post ask if you are getting too much fuel pressure???

Old 03-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Beginning Member

54 at rest and 60 max.
I can state that because I took the test from the fitting on the fuel inlet line, what I am trying to determine is if the pressure regulator under the plenum can be faulty and deliver too much fuel through the poppit.
I have no idea what the pressure at the poppit is supposed to be.
If it is supposed to be the same as the delivary pressure, then why is there a regulator?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Well, considering that the pressure is the same at the test fitting as it is to the electronic injector, no, that is not too high.

How were you testing the flow from the poppets? By jumping power to the injector... Considering that the IPW (injector pulse width) is measured in milliseconds...

Old 03-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member

But, my question is, will a faulty regulator deliver too much pressure at the poppit and flood the engine?
i pulled a poppit out to observe the flow.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Your test proves that the regulator is working properly. If it were plugged, you would have seen higher pressure. If it were leaking, you would have seen lower pressure. Basic regulator operation. But if you want to keep on hunting down dead ends, I will leave you to your musings.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Beginning Member

I have been by process of elimination trying to figure out what is wrong with the vehical without spending a thousand bucks on needless parts.
I was looking for help you arrogant jacka**.
If you don't care to help then why in gods name did you ever bother to respond at all.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Administrator

What do you think I have been doing here? I have been actually pushing you towards the tests that you need to do, but you seem insistent on going down rabbit holes that are unnecessary.

And thanks for the insult. Classy! Seems you need a little time out. During this period, please review the rules of the forum. PM me for any further correspondence.