1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 Blazer Shakes/Loses Power/ Sputters. Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Beginning Member
BigBlu102 is on a distinguished road
Question 93 Blazer Severe Sputtering and Bogging

Fuel Pump or Fuel Filter Issue?
S10 Four Door 4.3 V6 Vortec Motor 4x4.

Would a fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter cause the truck to sputter every time i try to accelerate?
If i let it idle for a minute or two the issue gets worse why i try to pull away. the whole truck shakes and gets jumpy.

Has anyone had this problem?

And what would cause my volt reading on my dash to be at 18?

Last edited by BigBlu102; 02-17-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Combining
Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 PM
K1500brute is on a distinguished road

I have had a similar problem.

The cheapest fix: run it to less then 1/4 of a tank and see if it gets worse. Then put the Highest Premium in to above 1/2 a tank (preferably Sunoco 94 if you can, if not Shell V-93). If it improves to where it is almost tolerable acceleration then its fuel filter. You might want a shop replace it since you live in the rust belt. It is probably rusted on the fuel line and its better to have them break the line if that happens then you.

Next: When were the plugs last done? Could need a simple tune up, sparks, wires, cap, rotor, and so on. Try to stay A/C Delco (found that out the hard way) if not at least for the plugs.

Most expensive and time consuming: How is the gas mileage?? if its horrible and there is a very potent gas smell in the oil (just take the dipstick out and smell it) it might be time for spider injectors and/or fuel nut. Mine when about 205K and had a very similar problem horrible acceleration, felt like it might stall as you step on it, truck shakes like its in an earthquake. Accelerates weird at higher RMPs, certain RPMs its fine, others it feels like is starving for air and the nose bogs down. Mine got a whopping 6mpg during all this but it also has AWD (bravada). Best to get OEM from Rockauto ($120+32core vs $130+110core advanced)

Cant say on the pump.

On the volt reading i have never had it happen but i would check the stuff in the link

How to Diagnose Overcharging in a Car Battery | eHow.com

Old 02-21-2012, 03:42 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similar issue with my blazer, but my issue is that the timing is off. I also plan on changing my fuel filter soon.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:23 PM
K1500brute is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigkhans
I'm having a similar issue with my blazer, but my issue is that the timing is off. I also plan on changing my fuel filter soon.
Forgot about that. Mine is also off a tooth so it idles rough but accelerates fine

Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Beginning Member

No i had that problem in October with my spider injector leaking into the oil.
In October i had the Spider Injector, Fuel Pump, Distributer and Cap, Throttle Body, All Plugs and Wires Replaced. And this past week the Ignition module and coil were replaced.

Update on Voltage. The Volt Indicator is junk. Im getting a reading of 14.6 volts with my multimeter.

Im thinking it could be that the computer is glitching and its not "smart" enough to know that it is the problem because I'm getting no Check Engine light, and all i get is code 12 which is what you are supposed to get every time you check.

I'll try the gas thing... it started doing this after i went and fueled up at a marathon gas station... which has ****ty gas. Normally i will only fuel up at BP, Kwik Trip, Shell, or Exxon/Mobil. I took it to a shop and they said it wouldn't do anything and changed the ignition module instead. So i'm going to test it now. But i do get a strong gas smell... but thats probably due to the fact that someone tried to steal my Converter so my exhaust pipe is cut.

Thanks for the help guys, if you have any other ideas please let me know!!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Beginning Member

Never heard of a fuel nut. What is that and what does it do? and... where is it?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BigBlu102
Never heard of a fuel nut. What is that and what does it do? and... where is it?
Fuelparts.com-fuel injectors, new fuel injectors, rebuilt fuel injectors

__________________________________________________ ________________

I would look up Marathon trouble line and complain strongly.. name names!
Marathon refines excellent gas. But if you're on the fringe of their market area you have to look close at the dealer AND at their station.
Excellent gas into crappily maintained and mixed tank is = big trouble. Doesnt matter the brand.
I will NOT EVER buy Shell in my area. I will buy and use Marathon / Speedway anywhere in this area as long as it isnt a two pump mom and pop.

High volume BP Arco is always a good bet.. now since BP adopted the Arco blend.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Beginning Member

The issue i have with this test is if i pour Sea Foam in the tank it still does nothing to help. And yes this I live in a super small town, that for some reason has 5 gas stations within a square mile. This station used to be a citgo and is on the edge of town in a low traffic area. The people who run it are in their early 20's and can't even keep the inside of the station clean. I doubt that there was any cleaning of the tanks during the switch from Citgo. Its also the oldest station in town.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Cracked lines in nutkit especially after spider replace is very common.

Originally Posted by BigBlu102
The issue i have with this test is if i pour Sea Foam in the tank it still does nothing to help. And yes this I live in a super small town, that for some reason has 5 gas stations within a square mile. This station used to be a citgo and is on the edge of town in a low traffic area. The people who run it are in their early 20's and can't even keep the inside of the station clean. I doubt that there was any cleaning of the tanks during the switch from Citgo. Its also the oldest station in town.
JEEZZ!!!!
The ONLY time a Cat has EVER destructed on me in 20 years and over 500,000 miles of driving was DURING a tank of gas bought at a seedy Citgo!!!
I loaned my son a perfectly good running Probe he thought he'd do me a favor and help out the little guy at the same time..and within a hundred miles it was one sick puppy.

Still Marathon is supposed to vet their franchisees and their stations. They ARE a good brand.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-23-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member

Well I'm not saying all marathons are bad. The one i went to is just a very shady and poorly maintained.

Quick Reply: 93 Blazer Shakes/Loses Power/ Sputters. Any Ideas?