1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 s10 4 door once again dies on hot day

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default 93 s10 4 door once again dies on hot day

Like last year. The first hot day. It dies. I was sitting at a light, then moved, then stop again at the light. So far so good. Go from light to turn. During turn it dies. In fact I didn't even know it died until I realized it was harder to turn and the rpm was gone. So I pulled it over. Pushed it in part. Cranked once. (slow crank, need to get starter replaced). Cranke twice (slow again) But fired right up. I notice there seemed to be a drop 1 digit for a bit in the alt guage. AKA digital dash. But when I got home. No problems. As for the starter. When it is warm. It seems to just crank harder or slow. So I know I need to get that fixed. I had the mechanic check the eletrical system over after putting a new battery in. He said the battery and alt is charging good. So probably just need a starter. But I'm baffled at this dying. It happened once last year on a hot day. Going about 45 and poof dies. I did fix the radiator overflow resivor. It had a clog and would just fill up the overflow. So I'll check in the morning for fluid levels. But I have not leaks and I checked about 2 weeks ago and everything for fluid looks good. Anyway any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

The alt gauge on the digitals will drop a line sometimes. Like when the lights are on,or when you 1st start it up etc. Mine did it all the time. Both battery and alt was good. As for the stalling it could just be the Iac. Its on the throttle body. Little black box. Remove it and clean the little piston with brake cleaner. Mine was dirty and caused random stalling. if thats not it have the fuel pressure checked. It should be around 60 psi when key is turned on,and should hold at least 55 for 10 minutes. These cpi's are bad for fuel issues with the regulators etc.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Starting Member
Magmotor is on a distinguished road

mine did the exact same thing. when I pulled the coil wire off, oil came out of the 18 yr old coil, after cooling down a bit it would start up again. replaced it with a new MSD system and running fine ever since.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Starting Member
Default Update: I cleaned the IAC.

I forgot to say this is a vortec engine. I cleaned the IAC and wow it was dirty. Had alot of black gunk on it. Now I know the person I purchased this from replaced the spider for the fuel intectors. Is there anything else I need to clean like the MAS or any other module on the air intake. I was thinking of sea foaming the intake. I also found the coil wire loose on the cap. Go figure. I paid more money for the premium set at Napa Auto Parts and I have had a little trouble with wires comming off. I also checked the coolent level. It is just fine.

Thanks,

josh

Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Come to think of it I had a weak coil a few years ago on my s10 truck. The coil was weak and would cause the truck to stall when it gets warm! Purchase a coil. Shouldn't more then 40.00.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Starting Member
Default Update2: I replaced the coil

I replaced the coil. I need to ask the mechanic if he checked the fuel pressure when I took it in for a look over. he probably didn't. Well My next update should be if I don't see the problem again or if I do what next. Probably if I do what is next. I have not had it stall since last fall. So Heh, who knows. Oh the coil I removed looked orig but I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Thanks for the help,

Josh

Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Starting Member
Default Another update

So it stalled like 2 or 3 times again this year. The only difference is the 2nd to last time. The fuel pump no longer makes the growling noise. I'm going to have my brother check the fuel filter. But to recap. really hot day going about 35mph. Just dies. Pulled over to the side. THe last time. It started right up.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 11-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Starting Member
Default So this has happened to me twice once today

As for update. once today I was driving along at 45mph and my digital dash starts fluctuating. Oh well I know these has problems. But I only seen this once before. Then the whole vehicles stalls. But it catches itself. That guages reset and everything is running fine. I was all ready to pull it over to the side of the road. But I have had this happen a few time before. Just never really noticed the guages acting up. But they all still read correctly while fluctuating. I'm thinking wiring issue or something is going out causing a back feed on the system. Since this is like the issues above. Except I was going at 45mph. If I find out what it is. Then it probably fix all the staling issues and no I have no done the fuel filter yet. Sorry. But it is on my list. I was just hoping somebody would say oh yea guages and stalling. Check this.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

My digital dash crapped out like that, started acting strange, then some areas of it just quit. I bought a new one from online for 200 bucks.

I also had random stalling, and it started right up... ended up being a plugged EGR. You may want to take the EGR off and clean the junk out of it as well.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

My whole digi dash went out besides the speedo and the odo... 20 buck power supply rebuild kit from ebay, and its going 6 months strong.

Quick Reply: 93 s10 4 door once again dies on hot day