1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94' Jimmy idles rough the warmer it gets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I think you can get a line repair kit at the parts store. I think Dorman makes one. Did you cut the metal line or the hoses? If you cut the hoses you need to get them fixed right. A slip over fitting with a couple of hose clamps will probably blow out. If you had a TBI engine with pressure around 13 psi or so I'd say go for it but at the pressures that the Vortecs run I wouldn't chance it. That's why the fuel lines are the way they are on them. Crimped and screwed together.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 AM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

they cut the rubber lines. looks like one of the hoses had a hole in the side of it that probably caused when they messed with it. that was where the gas was leaking at. i'm not sure what i'm gonna do to fix it yet. i need to get the fitings off that they put on and blow air through the line again and see how free it flows. hopefully it opens up good. might go to the junk yard and get the lines off of one out there. not sure yet though.

Update: I blew through the return line and it is not clogged and flows freely, so i guess its on to the injector after i fix the rigged fuel lines and put the tank back in.

Last edited by hubert hefner; 02-09-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:07 PM

You might try a NAPA store that does hoses. They have the stuff to fix about anything hosewise. Just remember to tell them sbout your pressure requirements. No splice with hose clamps. The might even be able to swage on a new hose with the fittings.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:08 PM

yea i already went to napa they have hydralic hose that will withstand 35000 psi that is also good for gas but the problem is they don't have anything as far as fittings that will work on the end that threads to the sending unit. so i'm still looking around to see what i can do. i checked the dealer and all of the fuel lines have discontinued so i can't get new ones and i haven't found anythind as far as new ones go on the internet either. I wonder what is stopping it up as far as the spider goes? i'll have to take it out and look at it after i get the tank finished. or maybe the return line that goes to the spider? i don't really want to have to put a new spider in it if i can stay away from it, but there is def a pressure problem. Something has to be clogged some where to make the fuel pressure 80psi when it is supposed to be 55-61, just has to be and its not the return line or the sending unit b/c i checked them already and they were good. so i guess i'll hopefully find out something more tommorow. I HOPE!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 AM

Check this stuff out. There is a bunch of dofferent stuff here. Don't know exactly what you need.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...el+line+repair
Have you checked between the gauge schraeder valve athe spider? Has to be something in there somewhere. If you have to have a new spider these guys seem to offer pretty good stuff. I thought it was reasonable. When mine takes a dump this is what I'm going to go with.
http://www.injectorwhse.com/servlet/...ion/Categories

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 02-10-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: added info
Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 PM

well i got the tank back in and all hooked up. i put gas in and kicked the pump on and it went up to about 55-57 psi and stayed there and may have dropped a couple psi after i cut it off. now i hear a whishing sound (that i didn't hear before) when the pump is on so i thought at first that a poppet was now leaking but i think it is the gas flowing through and back into the tank like its supposed to. all i could hear before was the pump kick on, didn't have the whishing sound so that is probably the gas going through hopefully. would this be correct that you should be able to hear the fuel flowing through the spider when you have the pump on with the plenum off? thanks

Old 02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I could totally hear the spider spraying on mine when it was bad. When the plenem was off i could see the tippets pissing out when I pulled them out of the intake holes and turned the key on. Thing was my pressure would drop from 60 to zero in 2 seconds, and in that 2 seconds the spider tips could **** out a half litre of gas. I could smell major gas too after trying it a couple times.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Hey man, at least it sounds like you have your high pressure problem solved. If it isn't leaking fuel that's another plus. The whishing sound can be narrowed down if you've got a stethescope. If you don't a piece of garden hose works pretty good too. I prefer the 1/2" variety. I didn't notice a whishing sound on mine but I wasn't paying that close attention. I just wanted no leaks after 2 gas showers. Besides I'm about half deaf. Too many jet engines. As my dad says "Don't fight success". Now you can maybe see how it runs.
How did you fix the line?

Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 AM

Yea hopefully she runs good. I need to see some progress finally. I went to the junkyard and got the pieces i needed off of another one to fix the line. i'm still gonna pull the popets out and look at them before i finish putting back together. Thanks for the help guys i'll let ya know how it works out.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:42 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ohsofly
I could totally hear the spider spraying on mine when it was bad. When the plenem was off i could see the tippets pissing out when I pulled them out of the intake holes and turned the key on. Thing was my pressure would drop from 60 to zero in 2 seconds, and in that 2 seconds the spider tips could **** out a half litre of gas. I could smell major gas too after trying it a couple times.
what did your spider sound like when it was bad? was it ticking or something? and what year is your truck? and were all yor tippets pissing fule out? also did you have any small puddles on the bottom of the intake?

Quick Reply: 94' Jimmy idles rough the warmer it gets.