1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

'94 random dashboard flicker

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 AM
Beginning Member
Meganutter is on a distinguished road
Default '94 random dashboard flicker

Since recently i have gotten another issue with my blazer.

My digital dashboard light flickers/fades out at random, i have not yet been able to see why.

- Bumps have no effect on the flicker.
- Turning on large lights have no effect.
- Signal lights have no effect.
- Voltage meter does not fluctuate when the flicker/fade occurs.
- Is more frequent right after a cold start, less frequent when i have driven some more.
- Battery has recently been changed.
- Starter has recently been pulled out, tested and put back in.
- Removed the lower bumper + the lights. (duct taped the wire ends and then taped them to the chassis)
- Lights on bull-bar have been taken off and put on again when removing the lower bumper.
- Slided the brightness thingie above the light buttons left and right a few times to clear any junk from it.
- When connecting a trailer, all lights fail to function. When unhitching everything works. (tried 3 trailers and 2 cables, all had the same result)
- Connecting an code reader to the car computer gives 'no connection', jumping A+B terminal also does not work.

I thought it was during gear shifting but after paying close attention to it i found that it wasnt when shifting.

Also, a month ago i was off-roading in a place with a lot of fine (i think its called desert?) sand, i cleaned the exterior and the interior afterwards but forgot to pop the hood and clean the engine compartment. I think it can do little harm but i am not 100% sure.

Any tips (a description or pics which spot on the car) i should start to investigate are welcome!

Last edited by Meganutter; 07-09-2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: added some extra info
Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Beginning Member
blazinNdCHEVy is on a distinguished road

have you checked the connection to the dash lights? the connector could have corrosion or any of the related connectors or bulb sockets. trailer connector could be shorted out somewhere in the system or it can be that the trailer itself has a short. not to sure about the dirt i live in the desert and have never heard of any sand related electrical issues. could of been from you washing it if a circuit was on and it got wet it could cause something to burn out, check all connections and fuses/relays for corrosion or looseness also try replacing the dimmer switch if you dont find anything else since thats what controls those lights.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:55 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

analog or digital dash?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 AM
Beginning Member

oops forgot to mention that
Digital dash.

The connectors (i havent had the time to look, or find how to take it out yet) to the dash should be easily found when i take it out?

I tried three rental trailers (and 2 cables) and all of them made my lights act funky in the same way.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

The power supply in your digi dash could be going bad. everything on mine would go out besides the speed and odo, it would fade away, come back on, just turn off ect. so I got a rebuild kit from ebay to replace a couple parts on the power supply of the dash cluster. it worked like a charm. and only 20 bucks, if you have electronic knowledge, i recommend it.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
The power supply in your digi dash could be going bad. everything on mine would go out besides the speed and odo, it would fade away, come back on, just turn off ect. so I got a rebuild kit from ebay to replace a couple parts on the power supply of the dash cluster. it worked like a charm. and only 20 bucks, if you have electronic knowledge, i recommend it.
Thats exactly what i have! i do have a spare dashboard lying around somewhere because i thought my previous blazer had a defect with the temperature gauge. i'll take a look at it when i get back home.