1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 S10 Blazer, knock in motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 AM
StephanieP3 is on a distinguished road
Default 94 S10 Blazer, knock in motor

My husband and I just bought a 1994 Blazer and the guy claimed that he put in a new transmission and radiator. The only things I'm noticing with this truck is that it has a knock/flutter that happens when you accelerate. Other than that it's just a loud sucker. My husband said it feels fine but to me if you accelerate too fast and that fluttering knock starts, and when the knock gets really bad (if you don't keep steady on the gas) if almost feels like it could stall, but it hasn't so who knows, I could just be worrying over nothing.

We're hoping it will be cheap to fix, we paid 500 and we need a reliable car since we have a baby.

Any ideas?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Could you make a video of it knocking? If its actually knocking and its not anything external then the engine needs to be replaced or rebuilt(rod knock,or wrist pin etc). Now if its tapping/ticking it could be a lifter which isnt a BIG deal.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 AM

I'll try to do that today when he gets home from work. If the engine needs rebuilt how much is that going to cost? I know it's obviously a common car so I'm hoping repairs won't be too much, we'd love to keep this truck.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Well, if you take it to a shop and have them do it all,look at 1500.00 easy. But you can always purchase a used motor and have it put in. My grandfather had a motor put in his truck and it cost 750.00 for the motor and labor. Where are you located?

1500 might seem alot since the car was only 500....But if it does have a new transmission and rad,just think about it this way. You now have a awesome blazer with a new engine,transmission,and good cooling radiator which will give you years of service for less then 2000.00.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Beginning Member
HigherPower is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree like I said on your other post don't sink money into a tune up just yet it could get worse before it gets better. The most common reason a blazer ends up at a junkyard is the engine goes out and people are put off on the cost not realizing for a little more it would be like new especially if everything else is working fine, like chris said.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
BF Veteran

Well a tune up wouldnt exactly be a waste. They could always transfer the parts over to the new one. Just unneeded money spent at this time.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 AM

I know what you mean, if it really is a new trans and radiator and we can keep it running for a couple of months until we can save up for the repairs and we then have a truck that is going to run for at least a couple of years, it's worth it.

I used to have an old 85 suburban and I loved it, so I would love to get this working so we can keep it.

Also, the guy said AC need recharged which can be about 50 bucks which it fine. I just hope it's all that is wrong. We live in Orlando Florida so it's super hot!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 AM
BF Veteran

Yea. Its hot here too. If the truck has a rod knock unless your going to completely replace it id advise not running it that long. reason why is your going to have alot of metal floating around since it has loose tolerances etc. Thats not good since a little bit of it is going to go back into the rebuild unless you pay good money to have everything cleaned very well.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Beginning Member
HigherPower is an unknown quantity at this point

What I meant is that untill you have a diagnosis........don't do the tune up, and of course the tune up may be part of the fix.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Yeah, it really just depends on what the price ends up for whatever is wrong. Like I said I'd love to keep it but if it is too much we might end up having to junk it just to turn around and find something else cheap. I hope not, I like this truck a lot.

Quick Reply: 94 S10 Blazer, knock in motor