1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

blazer help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Beginning Member
doelleb85 is on a distinguished road
Default blazer help please

85 s10 blazer california emisions...runs great cold but once hot loses a lot of power and stumbles to the point 4 and 5th gear r almost usless, can barley go 55mph on a flat surface. Its weird cuz it idles great and engine runs very good, I can barley tell its running at idle. But once it as it warms up I lose power and It won't make the thing go .

Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you could have a clogged catalytic converter. When you are experiencing the lack of power, is it more related to the RPM? A clogged cat will limit the RPM the engine can run out to and will be worse under load.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Beginning Member

Right that's what I thought too at first till I cut it out and so cat convert is none exsistant..lol....

Old 12-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly CA emissions then...

How about you run down through what you have done to try to eliminate this condition so people do not recommend things which have already been done and not communicated...

Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Beginning Member

kk im not worried bout emissions im moving out of cali..so we got new fuel pump, water pump, carb, 02 sensor, cap and rotor, msd ignotion, msd super coil 3, msd wires, ignition modul, magnetic pick up...thats everything. oh and i am getting a code 34 map sensor

well still having problems with the truck under load and higher rpms...all the stuff ive done the only real thing left is newer plug wires maybe regapping plugs to .040 instead of .045, ummm and ive herd alot about the fuel sock in the those blazers tend to clog and have just rust all over em..sooo i guess im dropping the fuel tank next to check it out...

well dropped the fuel tank, sock is clean.....i wish it was clogged....well gotta put tank back up and back to the drawing board...anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-28-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member has not responded prior to waiting 24 hours.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Is it a mechanical or electric pump?

Have you cleaned/rebuilt the carb?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Beginning Member

i listed up top new fuel pump and new carb....and the pump is mechanical.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Was the carb properly adjusted? Was it a stock replacement? Your truck likely came with the E2SE carb which, even when new, was a royal pain to get adjusted properly.

What have you done to troubleshoot the MAP sensor problem?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Beginning Member

yes its a e2se carb brand new i just bolted it on..and as far as the map senser i havent done nothing i dont even kno where the map senser is.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Starting Member
bowtie-72 is on a distinguished road

Hate to sound over simple, but I don`t see any mention of the regular fuel filter being replaced. Low power at high rpm/high gear is classic example.

Quick Reply: blazer help please