1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Blazer no power in morning

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:02 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default Blazer no power in morning

So we have a new problem on our truck. No power at all in the morning. I can boost it and use it no problem, I can go to a store and come out and start it again. My guage is reading 14 on the digital meter. Mt battery has a little over 12 volts after its been running a while and turned off. Alternator was putting out 14.1volts running. I dont have any way to load test my batter but I have the reciept. I havent touched the electrical system. The battery was new a few months ago. Im going to buy an alternator rebuild kit tomorrow for it and maybe swap my battery at the NAPA while im in the US where the battery was bought at, I cant exchange american products at canadian napa stores. Silly.

And to top it all off its leaking from the radiator where the tanks are soldered onto the core at the top on the drivers side. It appeaes to have an oil cooler too so its a little more expensive for a new one. Going to hit the auto wreckers for a rad maybe this weekend and let my oldest daughter remove and replace it shes 10 and likes working on the cars, its not pissing out yet just dripping. Ill carry water for a few days and hope the lineup is short at the border tomorrow so i dont overheat.

Its too bad I was on a little streak there for not having to fix anything on this old truck.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:00 AM
xfactor is on a distinguished road

maybe cracked distributer cap letting moisture in ,in the morning.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the battery is bad or there is a draw on the system that drains it over night.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 AM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like one of the battery cells is dead...same thing was happening for me and I tried everything before I took it into the dealer and had them diagnose it...it took them three days to figure it out but it ended up being the battery and now it starts great

Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Beginning Member
esserville is on a distinguished road

My 1987 blazer did just that. I had the battery checked and they said even tho it had 12 volts it had no cranking amps or something to that effect.It was a new battery so they changed it out and I had no more battery problems.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Beginning Member
gomfrddy is on a distinguished road

bad battery

Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 PM

The draw ended up being my glovebox light staying on when the door is closed, the little switch is busted. I just removed the bulb since I dont need a light in there and it seems to have fixed it for the last few days. Ill grab a switch whenever I get over to the wreckers again.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That would do it.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:56 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ohsofly
The draw ended up being my glovebox light staying on when the door is closed, the little switch is busted.
such a big problem, from such a little light!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM

I would have never found that except I was able to see the light leaking around the edges of the glovebox... Thank god I live in the country where its dark, in a city I would never have seen it.

Now if only I could find a used radiator that had STEEL tanks instead of these dumb plastic ones that I have. I have a small leak where the plastic meets the metal, and it stops leaking when it gets hot.

Quick Reply: Blazer no power in morning