1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Blazer noob - S10 rear gate lock and rich smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Beginning Member
packmule75041 is on a distinguished road
Question Blazer noob - S10 rear gate lock and rich smell

Hi all;

Just picked up a 94 S10 Blazer 4-door that was very well taken care of. It has 152K on it, but that isn't much judging from some of the mileages y'all are posting.

Anyway - a couple questions. Among the odds and ends I have run across, there are a couple that stand out...

#1 - the dreaded rear gate lock. Mine opens with or without the key. I'm believing from some other threads that the lock cylinder is shot. The one question I didn't see answered - and that the manual is NOT clear on - is this: is the mere presence of the key in the cylinder what allows the handle to turn, or do you have to turn the lock cylinder a 1/2 turn before the handle will turn, like every other vehicle I've ever seen? I can insert the key but it will not turn within the handle. That key is the one that works on the doors and glove box so I assume it's the correct one, unless that gate lock cylinder was replaced... BTW the electric glass release works fine. I just can't lock the rear handle.

#2 - I have a bit of a rough idle at times, hard starting at times, and a consistent "burnt fuel" smell like it's running rich. Runs fine above idle though. The fuel pump and the spider tubes have been replaced. Any other thoughts? (This is the W engine).

Thanks... Dave

Old 10-03-2009, 01:41 AM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

My '95 runs great apart from hard starting. Idle is nice and smooth as well. It has always had the rich running smell. A few times it has thrown a code for running rich. It has not done so recently. I have replaced the cap and rotor, wires, spark plugs, one O2 sensor that was failed, EGR valve, and TPS. I have also seafoamed the engine. No dice. The smell has diminished greatly and I have not seen my SES light in quite some time. I have learned to live with it. I have pondered changing out the spider injector and the coil.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Beginning Member

Update - had a fuel injector flush done. The tech said it blew black smoke for the longest time but eventually the injectors got cleaned out. Seems to run better now, still a touch rough on idle occasionally but starts better than it did. Runs real smooth above idle. Been averaging 15-16 mpg in city driving, not bad all things considered.

Still haven't replaced the rear lock. I suspect now that it may have been replaced at least once, I found a set of keys that doesn't fit anything else. That will be a project for another weekend.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:26 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Fuel injector flush? Please elaborate.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

seafoam style injector flush?
how much did that set you back?
x2 elaboration

Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a professional injector cleaning where they disconnect the fuel system and run it off of a can of concentrated cleaner. This type of cleaning should be a last ditch effort before replacing the spider. They can usually clean the junk out of the poppet nozzles to restore smooth drive-ability.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, swartlkk described well the type of cleaning that was done. The spider had been replaced previously.

Still had the rich smell and rough idle come back though after a few days, so I took it to my trusted local mechanic. He found (as he described it) some of the internal fuel lines inside the manifold were leaking. Replaced all those individual lines with a genuine GM line kit, and that solved the problem. Runs like a top now. Also increased gas mileage between 1-2 mpg.

Not saying the flush didn't help, it did, temporarily. But that internal flooding was going to still be an issue.

-dave