1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Bought a Jimmy yesterday with a few issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:40 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I agree with the solenoid on the Tcase. I can hear mine make a clunking sound when I engage it, so if you dont hear that, I would suspect it. You can easily hear it from in the cab down by your feet. You may want to go to a junkyard and get a couple of them to try before buying a brand new one.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Starting Member
Eff10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
a girl that knows something about trucks.
i'm impressed.

Thanks. I try to find out as much about cars as humanly possible because I don't know many girls that can even change their own oil and that worries me. Also, my dad is a mechanic and I spent my childhood around him doing engine swaps and everything else imaginable to classic muscle cars so I kind of fell in love with them.

Originally Posted by ohsofly
I agree with the solenoid on the Tcase. I can hear mine make a clunking sound when I engage it, so if you dont hear that, I would suspect it. You can easily hear it from in the cab down by your feet. You may want to go to a junkyard and get a couple of them to try before buying a brand new one.

I hear the clunking sound when the 4 lo engages but no sound when I try to get the 4 hi to engage.

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-22-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive Posting is prohibited by the rules of the forum.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Eff10
Thanks. I try to find out as much about cars as humanly possible because I don't know many girls that can even change their own oil and that worries me. Also, my dad is a mechanic and I spent my childhood around him doing engine swaps and everything else imaginable to classic muscle cars so I kind of fell in love with them.
that is awesome cause i dont know any other girls than you that even knows how to open the hood or even change their oil. be nice to have a few more mechanical girls in the world

Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Starting Member

Haha when I was looking for a blazer I went to see a bunch of them and every time I would go to inspect it I would pop the hood and check out like everything and the guy would just stand there every time with a bewildered look on his face. It's funny though because it's so second nature to me now that I don't even realize that I'm out of the norm. There's so much that I don't know but I learn more everyday just by being on the forum.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Banned

Haha when I was looking for a blazer I went to see a bunch of them and every time I would go to inspect it I would pop the hood and check out like everything and the guy would just stand there every time with a bewildered look on his face. It's funny though because it's so second nature to me now that I don't even realize that I'm out of the norm. There's so much that I don't know but I learn more everyday just by being on the forum.
x2 on the forum. these guys here are great and always ready to help. or give their 2cents(which can be good or bad). i know i'd be suprised if i was selling a vehicle and a girl was looking over the engine. even a little intimidated lol. last time i was trying to sell one she brought her uncle(who was a mechanic).

back on topic:
when i got my blazer the 4wd would not work at all. and it was the actuator/motor (its one piece) and like was said above around $300. yours sounds like part of the system is working so i wouldn't rule out the actuator/motor assembly yet but it wouldn't be the first part to replace.
x2 on checking vacuum lines. you'd be suprised what a couple of those unhooked can do

Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Starting Member

I brought my dad with me but he just stood there and let me take care of it. I always bring a guy for that type of thing because unfortunately some guys try to rip a girl off assuming she has no clue and I prefer that he not get any ideas. It's a lot less hassle.

How many vacuum lines go to the tranny? I want to make sure I know what to look for. A couple of the lines up front under the hood are slightly dry rotted but nothing too terrible.

Last edited by Eff10; 01-21-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned

they'd go to your transfer case. im not sure how many. i'd check the ones exiting the fire wall and underneath near the transfer case. also you could have someone hit the 4lo button to see if you could hear the motor attempting to work. you'll want to be in neutral and make sure someones in their with their foot on the brake. or if you got a lift just leave in neutral. just be careful.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Starting Member

I'll check that, thanks! As far as I can tell, I've looked at a bunch of threads trying to find something similar to my issue and the one thing that stood out to me is either a problem with the tccm or the encoder motor.
Update: I did some more research and managed to check for 4x4 codes and got a 2. So now I have to deal with the encoder motor. I saw in the "4x4 no worky" thread that the cheap way to fix this is to reset the tccm. I'm assuming that this is a temporary fix to trick the computer and erase the fault detected, and that I will still have to buy a new one. Is this correct?

Last edited by Eff10; 01-22-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Starting Member

I understand that the 4x4 code 2 means a problem with the decoder motor. Can someone tell me what I need to do to fix this? I read all the 4x4 threads but I want to know if a 2 means that I need to get a new motor, or if it can be fixed. I tried resetting the tccm by removing the fuse like it said in one of the diy threads, but I still have the same problem. Is it possible for the motor to just be broken instead of malfunctioning and not knowing what position the 4x4 is in? Please anyone who can help. It's snowing and I need to fix this.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

I understand that the 4x4 code 2 means a problem with the decoder motor. Can someone tell me what I need to do to fix this? I read all the 4x4 threads but I want to know if a 2 means that I need to get a new motor, or if it can be fixed. I tried resetting the tccm by removing the fuse like it said in one of the diy threads, but I still have the same problem. Is it possible for the motor to just be broken instead of malfunctioning and not knowing what position the 4x4 is in? Please anyone who can help. It's snowing and I need to fix this.

can you hear the actuator/motor trying to work?

Quick Reply: Bought a Jimmy yesterday with a few issues...