1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Broken Crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 PM
mars004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broken Crossmember

I have a 93 s10 blazer 4door and today I heard real loud clunking coming from my rear end. When I checked it out I found a slight problem where my rear drivers side shock broke through the crossmember it was attached to and is now hitting my floor every time I go over a bump. The bolt is still attached to the shock but it broke off by the metal so theres a perfect round hole for the shock to go through and hit the floor above it. Im taking the shock off tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knows if it it possible to weld another piece of metal on there or am I going to have to get a whole new crossmember? Also will I do much damage if I only have the leaf springs on that end of the truck? Any help would be good. Thanks

Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Broken Crossmember

if you ran without a shock that corner of the truckl would bounce a lot and would not stick to the road very well... i'd advise against that if possible.

i'd imagine you should be able to do some welding and make a repair, some pics would make it easier to advise...

Old 12-12-2006, 11:19 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

i think u are talking about the upper mount for the rear shock? well then u should be able to weld a new mount in place, although there is not alot of working room. if its that lower stud, then u can easily weld a piece on. they break all the time

Old 12-13-2006, 02:04 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Waht he said.

If it is the upper, and it sounds like it is. There isn;t much room to owrk up there. If you ahd the spare tirethere instead of the gas tank I would tell you to take it out. And it might not be a bad idea to take the gas tank out. Would give you the room you need.

Yea you could weld a plate up there to bolt the shock too. Drill a couple holes for the shock bolts. Might be a good idea to weld the shock bolt nuts to the plate before you weld the plate in place. There are a pain in the butt to work with normally.

If it is hte lower shock bolt. Buy a new bracket.

Teh springs carry the wieght of the vehicle. The shocks reduce the bounce. Like posted above. You will have traction issues, and your opposing corner (front drivers side) shock will wear out much faster. It will try to compensate for the missing rear shock.