1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Broken Threads and No lights!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:16 PM
crawdadman is on a distinguished road
Default Broken Threads and No lights!

I diagnosed and fixed my broken speedometer through this site so I thought I would stop lurking and make a first post.

I bought this vehicle a week or so ago and right when I was going to test drive it I realized it had a flat on the drivers side rear. I told him if he fixed the flat I would buy it. He got a new tire from the scrapyard and all was good. I was pulling my friend down the mountain because his truck broke down. He told me to pull over and I did and my tire was wobbling. 2 of the threaded sections that the lug-nuts go on to were broken off and the other 3 were very loose . I tightened them up, left my friend there and slowly drove home. Turns out it was the same tire that he had just changed and I assume he forgot to tighten the lugnuts and that is why it happened but anyways,

What parts do I need to fix it?

How do I fix it?

Do I have to do both rear brakes at once?

How much will it cost?

On a different note my running lights and low beams don't work, but my high beams do. What is the problem? How do I fix this?

Thanks in Advance,

Curtis Andersen

Old 06-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need to replace the broken studs. To do so, you need to remove the wheel & brake drum. Press out the broken studs, then install the new studs. You might want to replace all of them while you are there.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:12 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

x2 on what Swartlkk said. If there was enough stress to break two of the studs then you want to replace all of them. That happened to my neighbor's '91 Blazer and he only replaced the two studs that broke. I worry about his safety (and sometimes his intelligence).

Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 AM
crawdadman is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks.

I did this today and it was quite straight forward. I also put on new drums and it makes a world of a difference!

Thanks for the help