1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Starting Member
classklown90 is on a distinguished road
Default check engine light

I have a 94 blazer and recently decided to go to the shore(hour and a half trip from my house) and after about 15-20 min of going over 50mph my service engine light came on. I just had a oil change a week ago, put gas treatment in my tank last fill and my antifreeze tank is full. I can drive for hours without this coming on but once i go above 40-50 it comes on after a bit. Anyone know what the problem could be? BTW after this came on car still ran fine, no smoking or rougher than usual idling.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check for codes. The check engine light is telling you that the ECU has detected a fault and stored a code to point you in the right direction.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Starting Member
classklown90 is on a distinguished road

how exactly do i do that lol sorry

Old 07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Take it by an Advance Auto (free) or a local mechanic. Tell them you need to have the truck scanned for trouble codes because the engine light is on. They'll plug it into a computer and get a (or some) code(s) such as PO140 or something of the type. That will tell you what the issue is. Beware that a shop will charge you a fee for doing this.

Or you could get the codes and post em up here.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by classklown90
how exactly do i do that lol sorry
Find a paper clip and follow the directions on TroubleCodes.net.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by okvortec
Take it by an Advance Auto (free) or a local mechanic. Tell them you need to have the truck scanned for trouble codes because the engine light is on. They'll plug it into a computer and get a (or some) code(s) such as PO140 or something of the type.
He's got an OBD I vehicle, which has numeric-only codes. Advance, etc, do not have OBD I readers, only OBD II.

The paperclip method mentioned by Kyle is free and it works perfectly.
http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Yep, it's pretty simple to get the codes outta an OBD1 but it's a pretty archaic system so don't go changing the oxygen sensor (or whatever) right off the bat. Try to figure out what's actually causing the device to set the code.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:17 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Leeann_Bravada
He's got an OBD I vehicle, which has numeric-only codes. Advance, etc, do not have OBD I readers, only OBD II.

The paperclip method mentioned by Kyle is free and it works perfectly.
http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/
My fault I thought I read 98 instead of 94 for some reason.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 AM
wolfen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
Yep, it's pretty simple to get the codes outta an OBD1 but it's a pretty archaic system so don't go changing the oxygen sensor (or whatever) right off the bat. Try to figure out what's actually causing the device to set the code.
Archaic? or user friendly on a system that doesn't have as much emission garbage?
OBD 1 can be checked with a paper clip OBD2 and avove require a trip to the auto parts store at the least.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:01 PM
DubNblazer is on a distinguished road

did you ever figure out what was causing? i have the same problem. everytime i run the code check it says normal. can you check it while its running?

Quick Reply: check engine light