1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Child Car Seat Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Child Car Seat Installation

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

While my son could help out, he rarely is around when I'm doing the swap between vehicles or just reinstalling it in the vehicle I'm currently driving. The lower anchors just make it easier. Being the engineer that I am, I can design a system that, although it may cost me good, will work flawlessly.

You think the latch system from my '05 would bolt up to your Bravada? As I said, I've got no kids, and no plans for any for a long time, lol, so it's not something I need... Besides, I drive a 2 door... if I have kids I'm gonna get a 4 door and keep the 2 door for a toy...

If it's a direct swap kinda deal, I can see what kinda work it'd be to take mine out...

Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you could take some pictures of the mounting. 1st of the location of the anchors with the seat up, then snap some with the seat down showing where they are mounted to the floor. And maybe a close up of the construction of the anchor point. That would help me out.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I'll see what I can do... I'll even look in the manual so I know wtf I need to take pictures of, lol.

After I sleep, though... [8D]

Old 04-11-2007, 05:37 PM
BobTheBlazer will become famous soon enough

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

1st article has nothing to do with the LATCH system, but more to do with the unused seat belt. Easily avoidable if the parent actually thinks about it.

2nd article is on specific seats. Any seat found to be unsafe usually is quickly removed from the market.

And we'd have to have 3 sets of car seats... While that is an option, it is not one I will entertain. Reason being is that I also have to routinely remove the car seat (soon to be seats - plural) for work purposes and toss it in the back or in the trunk.

While my son could help out, he rarely is around when I'm doing the swap between vehicles or just reinstalling it in the vehicle I'm currently driving. The lower anchors just make it easier. Being the engineer that I am, I can design a system that, although it may cost me good, will work flawlessly.
Okay, okay. Just trying to help out.[sm=imsorry.gif]

Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 AM
BF Veteran

Here's the pics... Looks like it's part of my seat, lol, I might be able to take that bar out...

The top support/tie down, goes to hooks in the cargo area...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5070/459245C0C1854AA5BD704D57941A2B33.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5070/D61DF332C2554948AF1E8055820E82F8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the pic! Don't worry about takin' them out. It doesn't look like it would be all that easy...

Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 AM
BF Veteran

I'm assuming your Bravada seats 3 in the back?

From the quick peak I had at it, I might be able to take it out... Or at least take the nuts off the end, but I think I might have to split the seat bracket to get the whole bar out, unless the threaded part moves...

But at least now, you know how it looks!

And from what I can tell, they don't move at all when the seat folds (well, they don't rotate, anyway) so if you've got the same bar underneath, then you can probably, very easilly install it yourself (they apparently sell add-on latch systems, according to my manual)

Old 04-14-2007, 08:40 PM
kakn is an unknown quantity at this point

from my experoance with my 91 s10 2 door i used the seat belt. my son is 3 months old and has to be facing the rear of the vehicle. the seat belt works the best in my opinoin. my girlfriends old aveo she had has the mounting spot for a child seat. it has small buttons with a childs seat on it. as far as i can tell on newer car seats there are two straps on the bottom of the base that have metal hooks that connect to the mounting points in the vehicle. it woulde defenently be a benefit to have 2 bases for your car seat if you drive 2 vehicles. its a pain in the butt for me to get a car seat thru the drivers side door area and plop it in the base. i personally dont see how any child could be strangled by the mounts??? i can see if you dont have a base and you use just the car seat that the belt may slip off the front and choke the child. on my chld seat which is a graco, it has an area near the front of the seat where the lap belt goes. of course the lap belt is more or less attatched down by my sons feet and not his face or torso area. as long as you feel safe with how you have the seat installed you should be fine. just make sure the handle is in the down position so if you get in an accident and the seat flips towards the back of the seat the handle wont hit it. if in doubt take the vehicle and seat to a car dealership or your local wic office and they will be more than happy to install the seat correctly for you. this is just my experianc with my son....of course the first time i mounted his seat in my blazer i couldnt figure out for the life of me why i couldnt get it to fit right. it then dawned on me after i got it hooked up he was facing me.............then i had to remove it and flip it around and it installed alot faster. stupid me i guess.

of course by now you prob. all ready have the seat installed and found out what a pain in the butt those things can be, if you have a 2 door.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

What i don't understand is in my 7 passenger Venture, there is only 1 seat with LATCH. I've got 3 car seats! Go figure. [sm=lame.gif]

Old 06-30-2007, 12:41 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

My 92 has child seat cinch's on both sides, I have the same car seats side by side in my 92 2 door