1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

cold start issue I need this fixed asap plz help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Beginning Member
gojo83 is on a distinguished road
Default cold start issue I need this fixed asap plz help

I am working on a 93 blazer tahoe 4.3 vortec and from the looks of it is the late model year option and is like the 95 vortecs

when it comes to regals I know them like the back of my hand but this truck has me baffled. First off I just did plugs wires and fuel filter today. It has new battery and new bat cables to the alt and the starter and ground. the deal is usually I need a jump to get the thing motivated to go and the guage on the dash says 10 volts instead of the usual 13.8 I get on the other cars. this is a new 800 cca bat with 1000 amps starting power at 32 degrees. the truck will turn over and seem like it is missing either fire or spark so I pulled the boot on the coil and had spark there so I would figure it is fuel. I did the filter and it was filthy but after replacing it I had a buddy jump it and it still wouldnt do anything to kick over.
now onto the plugs I pulled them today and the very rear drivers side one was wet with what smelled like coolant but I know for sure it was not wet with gas. the rest were ashy and looked like the guy had used lots of the octane booster stuff since some of them were orange. As for the wet plug I can assume it is head gasket or lower intake related.

now before you say it is a dead pump according to the guy it is about a year old and was replaced. the other little thing is the gas gauge is not accurate at all. That is not a big thing just a bit of info to maybe help me figure this out since I need this truck on the road.

Lastly since I am new and you can say what you will but where is the port to test Fuel pressure like the shrader valve is on my regal. Another thing I keep seeing stuff about cleaning the egr well I live in an emissions check free area and wondering why do we even keep it it along with the cat is gone on my regals.

one parting thought would a clogged cat cause a rattling under accel and would that have any effect on the starting issue. please I usually dont beg but I need this solved asap the snow is supposed to fly soon and my regal is not good in the snow. plus the blazer has a donor drivetrain for the other regal so the quicker this is figured out the faster they all get on or off the road respectively.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Aftermarket pumps are junk so do not quickly rule out a pump just because it is a year or so old. I have seen airtex pumps fail inside of 3 months. The only true way to verify that the pump is working correctly is with a fuel pressure and leak down test.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Beginning Member
gojo83 is on a distinguished road

well I can tell you this it was either a leaky headgasket or a bad intake gasket either way I had to tow the 99 from impound ( f***ing thieves) and when I got it home it had at something and was drinking coolant. How hard is it to cam these motors?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
mikeypss is on a distinguished road

Check your IAC Idle air controller. Mine just went out and it would not start if the temp was below 40 degrees. I pulled it off and cleaned it with brake cleaner and now it starts well into the 20's