1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

CPI fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default CPI fuel problem

OK, so I have the upper engine taken apart finally. When I turn the key I get 60psi fuel pressure, then the pump buzzes for 2 seconds and stops and I have 40 psi, then if I turn off the key it will go back to 0psi in less than a minute. I pulled the 6 spider legs out of the holes and did this same thing, and in the 2 seconds of buzzing they spray out waaaay too much fuel, like more than a spoonful and give me the puddles of gas in the upper intake. This is obviously why my engine wont even fire cause thats way too much fuel. What is the problem here, how can I make these things spray the tiny mist like they should? Or are they supposed to have that much fuel coming out. My oil is also overfull now and reeks of gasoline, so i will have to change that once I get this fuel problem fixed. I have some parts from the junkyard that I can use too, I got the spider , the FPR, the injector, and a new upper plenm gasket...

Please help a brother out as I have to get an emissions test done and get insurance by feb 3rd as my toyota got hit while parked and needs fixing before I can insure that too, and our ford has a broken flexplate thats also on the to do list. Thanks guys.

Last edited by ohsofly; 01-28-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Beginning Member
tbones1176 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your fpr

Old 01-28-2010, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply, Im gonna run up and get one now and see what happens... So that would make it leak our of the tips of the spider legs huh? I thought the leak would be from the unti itself. Anyhow they are only like 40 bucks, Ill see what happens and thanks again.

All they had was a HELP brand FPR, it was 90bux... Sheesh. Whats the adjustment screw in the back of it for??? Gonna go put it in and hope for the leak to stop....

Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have fuel coming out of the poppet nozzles, your problem is more than the FPR. It likely is a stuck open electronic injector and leaking poppet nozzles. If the FPR were bad, fuel would be gushing out of the little tube on the end of the FPR. If the nut kit were leaking, it would be dripping fuel where the lines come into the spider.

I would disconnect the electrical connection to the spider and repeat your test. If fuel still squirts out of the poppet nozzles, the problem is a bad spider all together.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 PM

Oh no, with the electrical connection unhooked it still sprays just the same out the nozzles... Guess Im at the junkyard again this weekend dammit.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Save your time and spend the money on a new replacement. You are just as likely to have the problem quickly again by getting a yard spider.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 PM

Yeah thats what I was hoping to not have to do... Its 800 bucks for a new one at the parts store, and its 887 + 15 core from GM...
I have a parts yard one here, but one nozzles 2 little L clips are broken off.. I cant figure out how to take the one hose and nozzle off it to put one from my broken one onto...

Do you know if anyone makes an aftermarket spider for these things? I only paid 500 for the truck, and about 500 in parts for the tuneup and to replace broken stuff. My woman is going to kill me if we have to spend 800 on that part... Im stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I may have to try a couple more parts yard ones unless there is a way to change these hoses off the spider unit, or get it to lock into place with broken clips...

Last edited by ohsofly; 01-29-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Administrator

$800... Never go back to that store! It is MUCH cheaper than that. I am not sure if Lindertech.com still has their kit, but they had a comprehensive kit that had everything to do the work plus it had an upgraded FPR that was much more robust all for $300 +$50 core charge on the CPI spider.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 PM

Update, I have the junkyard spider in the truck, and its not leaking and the pressure is only dropping off very slowly and holding at 30. I cant see any gas leaking now! yay! But I dont have enough battery to start the fuel pump or start the truck, gotta wait till my Toyota gets home to boost from.

The legs on the spider are interchangable, I just undid that little security screw and took the 3way clamp off the lines, and popped the beoken one out and switched it with one from my old spider. I put all new Orings in everywhere I took apart, and its all back together now. Going to wait to put the plenum back on till after I get a boost to this blazer to have a final leak check.

Earlier when I called my local GM parts department to ask about the spider and the guy that took my call told me they are 887 + core, I asked him if that at least came with an injector and an FPR and he said "Thats the only way you can get a new FPR and injector, its all one unit" I then told him that I bought a new FPR the other day for 80 bucks, and that clown said "Well then good for you!" in a sarcastic tone to me and hung up the phone, didnt even wait to see if I actually wanted the part or not... So I wont be buying anything from those clowns again, I may even call his boss about that because it was rather rude to say to me... The dealer is Murray Pontiac/Buick/GM in Abbotsford BC, Canada...

Kirk, thanks for that URL, thats beautiful! I wish i saw that first LOL... Oh well, tearing this beast down was OK work... if this doesnt solve my leak then thats where I will be getting that kit from... As long as this holds for a couple months I will be happy, I can afford to change that in a couple months when things settle down to routine. We just moved to this province and between 10G for the move, 5G to secure this house, 8G for odds and ends, kids school, boy scouts registration, car repairs, and 3 out of province inspections to get done, AND a years insurance on all those 3.... We have spent alot of money in the past couple months and have to watch our pockets now, so all the help I get from you guys is just great and I really appreciate it alot!

Last edited by ohsofly; 01-29-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Hopefully it works out for you. For how long? Who knows...

Quick Reply: CPI fuel problem